1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Where is my Email Store Folder?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by packet1, Jan 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. packet1

packet1 Thread Starter

I'm running Windows XP Outlook Express on a Dell desktopwith $Gig of RAMand after a recent hard disk crash have replaced the hard disk with a new one and recreated the operatiing system from a recovery disk.I am attempting to restore the Outlook Express folders from a backup . The new Email Store folder is at C: Documents and Settings\dad\LocalSettings\ApplicationData\Identities\........etc.etc.However my problem is that I am unable to locate the Local Settings folder and so I am unable to proceed any further in the restoration process any advice will be greatly appreciated.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    When exploring the drive, did you enable looking in system and hidden folders?

If that does not work, try searching for files with a .DBX extension, making sure to include system and hidden files.

If you still can not find it, it might be possible that the hard drive crash damaged the files or the directory structure that manages the files.

EDIT: Here is some information on the file location and how to show hidden and system files:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/...-contacts-and-calendar-into-windows-live-mail

3. packet1

packet1 Thread Starter

I am looking at a brand NEW hard drive - it is NO longer damaged. and recreating Windows will have created a sound file structure.or the hard disk. All hidden, system directories are being looked at. I'm not looking for DBX files I'm looking for the directories. where the files are stored. It is the directories that are missing.

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Sorry about that. I misread your first post and thought you were trying to recover files from the old drive.

You say, "The new Email Store folder is at C: Documents and Settings\dad\Local Settings\ApplicationData\Identities\........etc.etc." and to me that sounds like you see that directory path. But then seem to contradict yourself when you say you can not locate the Local Settings folder. Did you mean to say, " The new Email folder should be at C:\Documents and Settings\dad\Local Settings\.... etc."?

Have you run and configured Outlook Express on the new hard drive? If so, you should be able to close Outlook Express, search for the new DBX file, open its containing folder, and replace the folder contents with copies of from your backup.

5. packet1

packet1 Thread Starter

The directory path is obtained from Outlook Express Option,Maintenance Store Folder. However the Local Settings Directory is not to be found even on a a search on the whole C drive

6. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

In OE, Tools>Options>Maintenance tab>Store folder button.
    Press the Tab key to highlight the Store folder address then Ctrl+C to copy it.

Start>Run>Ctrl+V>OK.
    That should pop open the Store folder.

7. packet1

packet1 Thread Starter

I obtained the directory path in OE Options without problem but had trouble getting to the directory through Windows Explorer as Local Settings directory could not be found. But you have shown me a brilliant neat way of getting straight to where I want to go. Thanks a million mate.You're a genius. People with your sort of 'shortcut' knowledge are a treasure and if you were to write them down in a book they'll sell like hot cakes and be a hotseller for sure.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!