1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Where is the "Open File Location" key in regedit?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ibrahim0512, Jan 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ibrahim0512

ibrahim0512 Thread Starter

Hi,
    Could someone please tell me where the "Open File Location" option/command in the right click menu is in regedit? I'm customizing my Windows 7 Laptop and I wan't to put an icon there. I already know how to add icons I just need the location.
    I tried searching for it (CTRL + F) but it wont come up. I also checked every place a command could possibly be (shell folders, shellex folders, etc.) I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit on a Toshiba Satellite A505-S6033 (Although I doubt the manufacturer and laptop information is going to make a difference) Please Reply! (P.S. I have a registry backup so I can access it just by going to command prompt and restoring it or I can type in sfc.exe /scannow so it's ok if my registry gets corrupt)

2. C141

C141

3. ibrahim0512

Dear C141,
    Thanks for the less-than-an-hour reply but I already tried putting a custom icon in there and all it's directories so does anyone know where I put the string value? Or maybe know how to delete it without my registry getting corrupt? (happened last time I tried)

4. Lance1

Lance1

5. ibrahim0512

Dear Lance1,
    Trying it out right now... I think it's what I need but I'm still looking for the right command...

6. Lance1

Lance1

Let us know if it works for you.

7. ibrahim0512

Yeah I can't find it in the list... Is there another way to delete/disable a right click command that came built in windows?

8. ibrahim0512

Ok, I just got a different program from the same creator and I found something named "Open Containing Folder Menu" but when I disabled it and restarted explorer.exe it didn't delete it.

9. Lance1

Lance1

10. ibrahim0512

That's for disabling downloaded program's context menu items if they have any. I'm trying to delete the "Open File Location" right click option which is not in this location in the registry.

11. ibrahim0512

12. Lance1

Lance1

Awesome, If you found what you were looking for, please mark this post solved at the top of your post. if not, keep it going!

13. ibrahim0512

NOTICE: If any one else is trying to delete the "Open File Location" option, BEWARE that doing this will make your registry corrupt, but if you go in safe mode with command prompt and type in " sfc /scannow " it will fix your registry and you won't have the "Open File Location" option in the right click menu.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083455

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice