1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: wheres my gb's gone ??

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by need2know, Jun 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. need2know

need2know Thread Starter

My older second reserve laptop - Toshiba Satellite A30-921, came with a 40gb hd and 512mb ram with Winxp (approx 5 years old)
    Decided to try and get it back to life and give it a second chance, as in the past it kept rebooting every 10 minutes, and was so slow when it was working.
    Used the product recovery disks for a fresh new start, removed one of the 256mb memory modules and replaced it with 1gb, so now up to 1.2 gb ram.Its even managed to install Windows SP3 without any hitches.
    Only need to use it for email/ surfing at present, but would like to download stuff in the future.
    Have installed Norton 360 as I have this on my other laptop with a 3 user licence.

Up to yet, no problems BUT, can you answer me this:

USED SPACE SHOWING ON C:LOCAL DISK =14.3 GB !!
    FREE SPACE = 22.8 GB

I have not installed any Office suite/word/works/excel etc, I have not downloaded any pictures, music,documents
    Space being used for "Documents/shared docs"= 5mb (sample stuff)
    Space used on currently installed programs (taken from control panel) = 312mb

Whats eating up all my space, and what kind of % of used space should determine whether to upgrade the hd in the future ?
    Thanks

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

These will allow you to visualize your disk space usage:

Disk Space Fan
    Visual Disk
    Disk Pie
    TreeSize
    Xinorbis
    AssessTree
    Directory Size Calculator

I usually get a new drive when the 50% point is passed. But you need to have at least 15% free space for defragging and most other tasks, so that is really a bare minimum. A large temp file can take up most remaining space very easily, especially if burning DVD's.

That's really an extremely small amount of space used. Even 2 or 3 restore points could make your usage that great.

3. need2know

need2know Thread Starter

Thanks for the info.
    Have checked out a couple of the programs you recommended.
    As you say, I suppose the space used on C:disk is quite small, a 40gb HD is quite limited nowadays.
    Will just keep it for email/surfing.
    Thanks for quick response too

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Right-click RECYCLE BIN, then click Properties. Move the slider from 10% to 3%, then click Apply - OK.

Right-click MY COMPUTER, then click Properties - System Restore(tab). Move the slider from 12% to 3%, then click Apply - OK.

Go into these 2 temp folders:

C:\WINDOWS\Temp

C:\Documents And Settings\(Username)\Local Settings\Temp

Select and delete everything from inside those 2 temp folders. If a few files resist deletion, leave them alone and delete everything else.

Empty the Recycle Bin, then restart your computer.

How much used space and free space does the hard drive have now?

-------------------------------------------------------------------

5. need2know

need2know Thread Starter

Really enjoyed doing that little exercise (am very easy to please!) :D

Used space now showing 9.99gb, equating to a third of the full hd, Excellent
    Many thanks, as always

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Used space is down from 14.3 GB to 10 GB? Great! :D (y)

---------------------------------------------------------------

7. need2know

need2know Thread Starter

Yes, gained nearly 4.5 extra gb, thanks again !

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

It's good to keep an eye on it. But there is always going to be some space unaccounted for due to the way files are stored on the drive. If it gets too low, come back.

9. need2know

need2know Thread Starter

(y)Thanks, will do my computing "housework" on regular basis !

10. boo5790

boo5790 It's My Birthday!

11. NozzaC

NozzaC

Also if Hibernate is enabled then it will set aside disk space equal to the amount of RAM installed. So that's 1.2GB gone for starters.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/927719

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice