1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Which Fan is Whirring/Grinding?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Amoeba, May 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Amoeba

Amoeba Thread Starter

I have four fans in my computer: one in the power supply, one in the processor, one on the back of the casing and one in my video card. At least one of them is making a horrible grinding or whirring noise when I switch it on first thing in the morning. It goes away after the computer has warmed up a bit and doesn't come back for the rest of the day, even if I power off for a while and power back on a bit later. It'll be back next morning though.

I've tried opening up the computer while the fan is making this sound and having a good listen but I can't tell for the life of me which fan it is. Does anyone know if there's a technique to find the dodgey fan amongst many fans? I tried searching on google but it always just returns results on how to fix fans or what to do in the case of discovering a noisy fan (but not how to distinguish which fan it is). My friend suggested sticking the end of a pencil in each fan while they're spinning to test and see if the noise stops but I don't like this idea, it sounds dangerous. I don't want to get electrocuted or damage the fans.

I did also try removing any dust from each fan (impossible for the PSU fan because its inside the PSU) in case that was the cause but nope, it still happens.

2. dai

dai

use a long drinking straw

you don't put it into the fan but close to it with other end to your ear

3. be4con

be4con

You could disconnect the case fan from the mobo then boot, and that would allow you to eliminate that from your enquiries. In my experience they are the ones that go first. If it still grinds then you just need to establish which of the other 3 it is.

You could then remove your graphics card and boot up, leaving you just 2 fans to choose from if the grinding continues.

Deciding between the other 2 is going to be harder to do but I think dai's trick with the straw sounds sensible, and you may not need to go that far if it's either of the other 2.

4. Amoeba

Amoeba Thread Starter

Hahaha... funny how this fan has been annying me for weeks. I make this thread and it mysteriously goes away.

Best mark it solved. I'll use your advice if it ever comes back.

5. dai

dai

it's often the way

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1098754

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice