1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Which hard Drive Should I Install ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TooOld, Jan 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TooOld

TooOld Thread Starter

I have a 3 year old Gateway DX4860 sitting in the corner collecting dust and thought I'd buy a new hard drive for it and get it working again . I've never done this before and it seems pretty straight forward but I was wondering which hard drive I should buy .

It currently has a Western Digital 1.0TB #WD10EADX and finding a replacement is simple enough . But for just a few more dollars I can buy a 2.0TB #WD29EARX or a 3.0TB #WD30EZRX . Will these work in this computer ?
    The 1.0TB has SATA / 32MB Cache on it and the other two have SATA / 64MB Cache on the label .

Thanks for any advice you can give me .

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The computer may be limited to 2TB drives and smaller based on it's age. The cache size doesn't matter from a compatibility point of view, more should give slightly better performance under certain conditions.

If you want performance don't get a Green drive, they are best suited for secondary/storage drive. Get a Blue drive or get a higher end Black Edition drive for even better performance.

Is the current 1TB drive faulty?

3. TooOld

TooOld Thread Starter

About 6 months ago the computer just went dead and produced a high pitched whistling sound . Every time I turn it on it just whistles . I opened the case and it sounds like it is coming from the hard drive .

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You need to re-check that. Disconnect the hard drive and see if the computer posts(shows BIOS screens). Rarely does a hard drive make a whistling sound or causes the computer to be dead. Sounds more like a power supply issue, Gateways usually have horrible power supplies.

5. TooOld

TooOld Thread Starter

I don't have a monitor or anything else connected right now , but with the hard drive disconnected it is still making a very loud screeching or whistling noise . Looking closer I could see that all of the fans are operating quietly and the noise appears to be coming from the power supply . I removed the PS enclosure leaving everything connected , plugged in the power cord , and everything seems normal (and quiet) again . I'm positive that the fan was running before I did this so that's not the culprit .

I put everything back and put the side back on the computer . . . it seems to be working just fine . I'll hook a monitor and keyboard up in the morning to check everything .

I'm thinking it could have been something vibrating that was making the noise , but it was very very loud so I don't really know . What do you think ?
    I guess I'll know for sure in the morning !

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Could have been a loose component but your description does not point to a faulty hard drive.

7. win2kpro

win2kpro

A whistling noise from a power supply is very often caused by a bad capacitor. If you are capable of opening the power supply check for damaged capacitors.

8. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Danger: Opening a power supply can be dangerous.
    I never suggest to anyone to attempt this.
    It's much safer to replace it, if you suspect it as the cause of problems.

9. TooOld

TooOld Thread Starter

Thanks for the warning . I think if a bad capacitor was whistling like that it would still be whistling , I don't think it could repair itself ! It must have been something that I didn't see .
    I've been busy but sometime tomorrow I'll hook everything up and see if it works .

10. win2kpro

win2kpro

@plodr, Please notice, I stated; "If you are capable".

11. TooOld

TooOld Thread Starter

Okay , I've hooked everything up and the computer booted , Windows opened , and it all works just fine .

So what caused it to go dead in the first place ? Obviously if it happened once it can happen again !

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    A few of us have suggested a failing a power supply. My recommendation would be to keep a close eye and ear on it and see how it works or if it makes any more noises.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1141984

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice