1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Which is a better modem?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Gajate, Mar 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gajate

Gajate Thread Starter

Trouble with Comcast and their choice of modem/gateway.

I upgraded to 50/10 and Comcast said that i needed to have installed the Arris TG862G which is a combo modem/router. The tech came out and said that they are wrong and that they have been telling Comcast this for a long time. He said (and installed) the Arris TM722G which is just the modem. Today I received in the mail the TG862G. Comcast gave me a $75 credit since the tech did not install the equip they told him to.

The $75 credit was to purchase a compatible router (Cisco-Linksys E1550).

They will install either one, BUT I have been unable to find ANYTHING that will allow me to compare the 2 as which is the BETTER modem? I have my eyes set on a Dual-n Router, but I would like to resolve this dilemma first.

:confused:

2. Rockn

Rockn

Better for what exactly? You are the only one that knows what your requirements are.

3. Gajate

Gajate Thread Starter

Sorry, seemed like a very simple question. Wondering if anyone knows which works as a better modem, regardless of requirements.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Before worrying about "better" have you checked the specs and determined that both are capable of at least 50 Mbps download (assuming that's what you meant by "50/10")?

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

6. Gajate

Gajate Thread Starter

@TerryNet - That was the reason for me asking. I could NOT find a single spec sheet anywhere. And Comcast said that they didn't know. I tried Arris, the company that makes them and was told to check with the cable company. It was a VERY simple question - by "better' meant if anyone knew which had better specs.

@DoubleHelix - Comcast is the one that gave me the TG862.

For everyone's info, since I was able to resolve this, the TG862 is a better modem. The Comcast/Xfinity Tech installer will try to install the TG722 saying that it is capable of 50/10, yet it is not. The TG862 is a modem/router combo and is capable of 50/10.

This was done by actually installing BOTH and testing their actual speeds. pings and latency.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1046977