1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Which is easier to install: Ubuntu or OpenSuse

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by Banner1976, Oct 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Banner1976

Banner1976 Thread Starter

I want to install second OS to my pc which is already running win xp pro. And i don't know which one is easier to install and maintain after installation. Or mayby you have the other version of UNIX.

2. CouchMaster

CouchMaster

I say Ubuntu but what the heck - they are free so try both and see which one you like the best.

3. Banner1976

I know they are for free, but it is first time im dealing with unix, so i wanna know which one is easier to install. especially regarding partioning during installation, etc

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you don't want to partition your first try then Ubuntu is the clear winner. Use Wubi to install it as a Windows application--no partitioning.

You could also boot each as a Live CD to make sure of hardware compatibility before you commit to any installation.

5. Banner1976

ok, i will try wubi. But, is it still different independent OS or just application which works under windows??

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Other than being a file in Windows instead of a separate partition it is independent. You still get the option to boot one OS or the other. Ubuntu does not run under Windows.

7. Banner1976

So, first i have to install Wubi, then i can download ubuntu and install it to my PC? Or Ubuntu installation file includes Wubi?

8. Wino

Wino

While in Windows, insert Ubuntu 8.04 disk and run - second option/choice is to install in Windows. Click that option to install. You will be asked where you want to install (I installed on partition E). Once installed , upon reboot you have the option of Windows or Ubuntu. While in Ubuntu, you will have access to your files and folders in Windows. When in Windows no access to Ubuntu. I've installed on two XP computers and Ubuntu works well when installed within Windows IMHO.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Wino's way is fine, but if you haven't yet created a CD you can put the downloaded Wubi and the Ubuntu .iso in the same folder and run the Wubi setup to get the same result.

10. Banner1976

OK, thank you. I will follow yours advices when i get back to installation of Ubuntu, I think next weekend. During weekdays I'm extremaly busy.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756360

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice