1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Which laptop ram for Toshiba Satellite A85-S107

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tom Seeley, May 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom Seeley

Tom Seeley Thread Starter

I need to upgrade my daughter's Toshiba Satellite laptop A85-S107.

I've found conflicting part numbers on various web pages, incl Toshiba's, for which specific type of RAM we need.

The Toshiba tech specs say it takes PC2700 DDR 333Mhz SDRAM. The specific part number on the tech specs is KTT3311A/1G, Kingston DDR 333, 1 GB.

But when I go to the Toshiba Direct shopping page, I find 2 chips: KTT3311/1G [without the A] and KTT3311A/1G, both called PC-2700 333 MHz DDR.

On some 3rd party pages, I find the part number with the A and on others I find the same part number but without the A, and in no case do I find both, or a description of the differences.

On some pages, I found that one version of the part number may refer to a different speed than 333 mHz. Is that significant, as long as I stay within the PC2700 category?

Can anyone please tell me exactly which one I want? Or doesn't it matter, as long as I'm using either PC2700 chip?

All things considered, I'm inclined to stick with what the tech specs say, and use the part with the A, but I always get nervous when I encounter inconsistency until I can explain it.

2. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    For optimal compatibility I would stick with the KTT3311A/1G.

I haven't checked but I would suspect the one without the A is possibly a slight different revision, perhaps slightly different latency timings. It may well work fine, but if you stick to exactly what the tech spec says then you shouldn't have any problems with returns etc. if you any problems occur.

Again, any PC2700 specced RAM (as long as its the same size and number of pins etc) as your existing RAM should work, but, you may have some issues if problems occur as its not recommended by the manufacturer.

3. Tom Seeley

Tom Seeley Thread Starter

thx. I agree sticking strictly with the mfg's number is the safest bet. thx again.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/826768

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice