1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Which Motherboard and Graphics Card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rep353, Jun 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rep353

rep353 Thread Starter

This is my first computer build and I am having some difficulty over which motherboard to choose or which graphics card manufacturer.
    I have decided to get an intel i7 920 processor and build my computer from there. I intend to use my new computer for gaming mostly and to be able to play graphics intensive games. I would prefer if the components I choose would last well into the future.

I have considered:

an Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo

and a Geforce GTX 285 graphics card - Which manufacturer???

I figured these components are central to a gaming computer.
    Please give me some advice on how to make this build to work smoothly

2. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

Are there certain manufacturers you are considering?

3. rep353

rep353 Thread Starter

Probably either Asus, Evga or Gainward and also would it be worth getting a card with 2GB memory?

4. BG-0

BG-0

5. rep353

rep353 Thread Starter

Would you happen to know of any online shop that would sell these and ship to Ireland?

Newegg doesnt ship to Ireland right now.

6. BG-0

BG-0

7. rep353

rep353 Thread Starter

Is there much of a difference between asus / evga graphics cards?
    Thanks for all these links I hadnt really thought of the uk websites.(y)

8. rep353

rep353 Thread Starter

I like this motherboard because im pretty sure it has all that I need. what exactly did you mean extra features

9. BG-0

BG-0

With the minimal price difference from the UK shops, the P6T Deluxe V2 might just be a considerable choice. Extra features, I really don't know, I just assumed the Asus comes with something like higher memory speed support/better PCI-E speeds etc... Actually seems like the Gigabyte EX58-UD4P has slightly better specs than the Asus board soo... Up to you really. They're both enough for just about anyone.

Difference between Asus/EVGA cards would be 7 years of warranty. Nothing else that matters. If stickers on the cooler shroud don't matter, that is.

10. rep353

rep353 Thread Starter

Does one of them have 7 years warranty?

11. Rich-M

Rich-M

It's a matter of opinion for sure but I would not buy an Asus and believe Evga video cards are amongst the best.

12. BG-0

BG-0

Asus has 3 years, EVGA 10 years if you call a few numbers and register the card.

13. rep353

rep353 Thread Starter

Ill try and look around for a good price on the Asus P6t Deluxe V2 but ill keep an eye on the gigabyte EX58-UD4P.
    They do both seem very alike but the asus boards just give me the impression that they have better quality.

14. Rich-M

Rich-M

Not true recently I'm afraid. Two years ago I sent one back 4 times for repair and then I had 4-5 dead motherboards out of the box also.Then I discovered a website about the first board and it's issues with over 800 posts. I have personally been done with Asus for 3 years now, I think they just grew too fast. I also shipped a video card back 3 times until it finally was working. One thing I can say is they were real quick on returning them just not so good on fixing them!
    I had a few Gigabyte returns also a while ago but not recently and I have the EX58 UD3R for about 6 months and it is a great quality board! They are very responsive to support issues also, something not true about any other maker I know of except Asus.

15. BG-0

BG-0

Yup. Go for the Gigabyte. They've been at par with Asus's quality when Asus still was a very reliable brand, and have stayed at that level even when Asus has been going downhill for a few years now.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/835682

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice