Solved: Which Norton Removal tool to use?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

paintergirl

After uninstalling Norton 360 (version 2.0) from my laptop (Vista Home Premium) I can no longer open any internet browsers. Through my research I have determined that I must 1st use the Norton Removal tool and then download either AVG or Microsoft Security Essentials for my protection. When I went to look for the Norton tool I found an overwhelming # of places to download from , the one at the Symantec site has you check which Norton product you have and my version is not listed. Any Ideas?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Download Norton Removal Tool 2010.0.5.18 from here and save it.

Close all open browser and program windows.

Double-click the saved file to run it.

Restart your computer after it finishes.

Run it and restart a second time.

----------------------------------------------------------------

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Two heads thinking alike. :D

------------------------------------------------

paintergirl

Thanks! Yeah! Now I can open my internet browser. Should I go right ahead and download Microsoft Security Essentials or AVG from my laptop directly or should I download to a thumb drive from my desk top. Which is the better antivirus and which is the best way to install on my laptop? Should I also have Windows Firewall and/or Windows Defender turned on too?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
My personal favorites are

AVG 9.0.814 - for combating viruses

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.45 and SUPERAntiSpyware 4.35.0.1002 - for combating malware and spyware

10 different people will give you 10 different opinions on what they like and use.

Windows Defender does a poor job, so I keep it disabled in my Vista computer.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online