1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Which processor best for my use and money?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cybergrrl, Dec 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cybergrrl

cybergrrl Thread Starter

I want to buy my sister a new PC for Christmas but with all the different processors, I'm not sure what's best. She mainly uses the PC for the internet and some data processessing. The most resource intensive would be listening to music, watching youtube, and watching DVD movies. She has an old HP Pavillion a350n with a pentium 4 proc w/hypertreading. It's having problems running everything, lags on the keyboard, and can't run any youtubes without multiple stops.

I'd like to stay under $600-700 if possible and I'm looking at Gateway, Dell, and ASUS. NO HP!!! (the HD crashed and had major problems installing new one because of proprietary mb). Are these brands all about the same? I saw a Gateway AMD PenomIIx6 for $398 and a Dell Core i5 for $598. Both had 6GB ram. Don't need much HD so not concerned about the size of that.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

2. fang508

fang508

lol i have an old lappy with 512mb memory 1.5Ghz mobile pentium and crappy gfx that can play youtube fine lol.

But anyways, a good computer for DVD/HD viewing while having all the other capabilities, id go with a cheap Dual Core + Gfx.

3. gberger

gberger

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    What about a laptop ?

5. cybergrrl

cybergrrl Thread Starter

Sorry - she has a nice monitor, keyboard, and mouse along with home 802.11n network. I like your recommendation, gberger!

6. cybergrrl

cybergrrl Thread Starter

Already has laptop AND macbook, managed!

7. win2kpro

win2kpro

I'd recommend a Dell over anything the Acer Group builds (Acer, Gateway, eMachines and Packard-Bell).

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

We use dells at work [must have at least 1000 of them] and they seem to work fine for basic stuff. I do not do IT where I work however most of the problems I see are printer issues and not related to the dell computers.

9. fang508

fang508

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029427

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice