Solved: Which processor best for my use and money?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cybergrrl

I want to buy my sister a new PC for Christmas but with all the different processors, I'm not sure what's best. She mainly uses the PC for the internet and some data processessing. The most resource intensive would be listening to music, watching youtube, and watching DVD movies. She has an old HP Pavillion a350n with a pentium 4 proc w/hypertreading. It's having problems running everything, lags on the keyboard, and can't run any youtubes without multiple stops.

I'd like to stay under $600-700 if possible and I'm looking at Gateway, Dell, and ASUS. NO HP!!! (the HD crashed and had major problems installing new one because of proprietary mb). Are these brands all about the same? I saw a Gateway AMD PenomIIx6 for $398 and a Dell Core i5 for $598. Both had 6GB ram. Don't need much HD so not concerned about the size of that.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

lol i have an old lappy with 512mb memory 1.5Ghz mobile pentium and crappy gfx that can play youtube fine lol.

But anyways, a good computer for DVD/HD viewing while having all the other capabilities, id go with a cheap Dual Core + Gfx.

cybergrrl

Sorry - she has a nice monitor, keyboard, and mouse along with home 802.11n network. I like your recommendation, gberger!

I'd recommend a Dell over anything the Acer Group builds (Acer, Gateway, eMachines and Packard-Bell).

crjdriver

We use dells at work [must have at least 1000 of them] and they seem to work fine for basic stuff. I do not do IT where I work however most of the problems I see are printer issues and not related to the dell computers.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online