1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Which program do you want to use...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by roxe7, Dec 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roxe7

roxe7 Thread Starter

So glad to find this forum! I hope someone here knows the answer to my question...

Toshiba Satellite running XP Pro SP3

Each time I use a CD, DVD, USB stick, or attach my iPhone, a box comes up asking me either what I want to do, or what program I want to use, etc. I've used TweakUI to change all the Auto-Play choices... but it still appears.

Is there any way to shut that completely off?? so I never have to see it again??!

Thanks much :)

2. raybro

raybro

Open properties on whatever drive you have active, select the Autoplay tab, then select the radio button labeled "Select an action to perform", click the "Take no action" choice, click apply and OK. You must do this for each drive (Flash drive, iPhone (yeah, its a drive), CD/DVD drive). I've attached a screenshot of the dialog window you should see. this one is of my DVD drive.

Obviously, for a flash drive and your iPhone you will need to connect the device and go through the process you currently do (closing the window). Then open Windows Explorer or My Computer, right click the drive you want to change and select properties to get the dialog window open.

Attached Files:

3. roxe7

roxe7 Thread Starter

raybro,
    Thank you so much for making it so simple!!! I just knew there had to be a way to get rid of that annoyance. :)

roxe

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!