1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Which puter mfg will still sell you OEM install disk

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by dandxg, Aug 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dandxg

dandxg Thread Starter

Does anyone know if you can buy a consumer grade laptop and for a nominal cost get the OEM OS install disk. I want a clean Windows 7 disk with no bloatware.

As any of us tech savvy ppl. know they sell you are computer with lots of bloatware installed on the puter and it often slows it down. I have seen where once reformatted the computer received much faster download speeds than previous, it went from 1mg down to 20 mg just on reformatting and removing the junk.

I just bought this Asus laptop peice of junk, supposed to be a good brand, and the touch pad is all messed up so Asus tells me to use the partion recovery, but if I do that I get all the bloatware back! That junk is going back to Sams.

What I want is like what Dell gave me years ago. An OEM OS install disk that I paid like $20 bucks for that didn't contain any bloatware.

When I call the noobs at Asus or Dell they say just remove the software you don't want. Yeah right and leave all the registry errors and crap, no thanks.

Does any mfg offer an OEM OS install disk these days?

Obviously I could buy Windows 7 clean but after paying $800 I don't think I should have to do that since I paying retail.

TIA

2. j0hnx777

j0hnx777

Not that I know of but I run a small computer repair / custom pc shop and we give our customers OEM software on disk.

3. black-wolf

black-wolf

If you want a windows disk now days you have to buy one. PC manufacturers don't supply them, at least without the bloatware. Asus has less than a lot of other brands out there. Try using Revouninstaller free version, works great and gets rid of all the residual files and registry entries for the program it is uninstalling.
    http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

4. dandxg

dandxg Thread Starter

If I understand correctly this should work download a clean ISO image burn to disk all good. Sorry for my rambling I don't like windoze but it's a windoze world so have to work with something you rather not. If this fixes it I will be real happy.

[link removed by mod]

Does anyone know if Windows 8 has a registry too?

Thanks for the quick replies BTW.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

I removed the link from your last post because the referenced article includes links to copyrighted material that is meant for Digital River customers, not for anybody who finds a link to the software.

We have been discussing this behind the scenes, but have not come to a decision. Until we do I am treating this kind of link as inappropriate, but not giving any infraction for it. And, in this case, not even a warning. :)

Thanks for the laugh. :D What would Windows be without a registry? Would it still be Windows? :eek:

6. dandxg

dandxg Thread Starter

I am confused whats wrong with using that link since I already have a paid for Windows 7 license. I am not pirating or anything. I did it last night and it worked like a charm, no more bloatware. After I ran the ISO I had to input my serial key which I did and all is good.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

So are we (confused), which is why our discussion is stretching forever w/o decision. One of my concerns is that if you go to Digital River or the Microsoft store there is no way to get that software w/o buying. Another concern of mine is that when you do a little digging you find that the sites and blogs that give the links often slip up with such comments as "made a good guess on how to find ..." or "major leak."

You can mark this solved using the [​IMG] button at the upper left of the page or just below the last post.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1065502