1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: While connected to Wifi, internet will go out sometimes.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by kamanashi, Jul 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kamanashi

kamanashi Thread Starter

I have 2 PCs and 1 Xbox 360 connected to my router most of the time. 1 PC is wired and the rest are wireless. My router is a Netgear Rangemax WPN824v3.

My problem is that sometime, randomly, the internet will quit working through wireless, but work fine with wired. I will still be connected to wireless, but all internet access will just stop. Leading to me having to power cycle it just to access the internet again.

Can anyone help me with this? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Sounds like the router has a problem.

Some things you can try here, listed in the order you should try them.

1. For wireless connections, remove all the stored wireless profiles and search for networks. You'll have to enter the encryption key again, which is sometimes the issue for connection problems.
    2. For wireless connections, change the channel on the router, I like channels 1, 6, and 11 in the US.
    3. For wireless connections, try moving either the wireless router/AP or the wireless computer. Even a couple of feet will sometimes make a big difference.
    4. Update the network drivers (wired and wireless) on your computer to the latest available.
    5. Update the firmware to the latest version available on the manufacturer's site.
    6. Reset the router to factory defaults and reconfigure.

Many times these measures will resolve a lot of intermittent issues.

3. kamanashi

kamanashi Thread Starter

None of those worked. I still have my computer and Xbox losing internet access over wireless while my wired computer keeps it.

4. JohnWill

Well, if changing channels doesn't do it, there would appear to be an issue with either the signal strength or interference over a broad spectrum.

Maybe increasing the signal strength at the router might help.

Hawking Tech has a number of products that will help you increase your wireless range. The root page is Hawking Hi-Gain™ WiFi Range Extending Products.

Some of the more interesting products are this Hawking [HSB2] Hi-Gain WiFi Signal Booster, which can be used on either end of a wireless connection to boost the signal power.

Another way to increase your signal strength is by the use of hi-gain antennas. You can choose from omni-directional or directional models, here are a some examples.

Hawking [HAI7SIP] Hi-Gain 7dBi Omni-Directional Antenna

Hawking [HAI15SC] Hi-Gain 15dBi Corner Antenna

[HAO14SD] Outdoor Hi-Gain 14dBi Directional Antenna Kit

For 802.11n applications, this ZyXEL ANT1106 6db omni-directional antenna can be used.

For really long range outdoor applications, this 24dB parabolic WiFi Antenna may be a good choice.

If you have a wireless adapter that doesn't have provisions for an external antenna, one adapter that I've had good luck with is a Rosewill RNX-G1 USB Wireless Adapter. It's feature is that is has a removable antenna and will accommodate replacement antennas.

This is just a sample of available products, many people have hi-gain antennas with similar specifications, but I haven't seen any other suppliers of signal boosters.

5. kamanashi

kamanashi Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion. But, I may have figured out what was going on. I checked the logs, and there were a couple IP duplicates at random times. I set the IPs manually and haven't had any problems since.

6. JohnWill

You probably didn't need manual IP addresses.

Repair duplicate IP address on network issue.

1. Turn off everything on the network, ALL the machines and any other network device like network printers and NAS drives.
    2. Turn off the router and modem.
    3. Turn on the modem, wait for a steady data light.
    4. Turn on the router, wait two minutes.
    5. Turn on the network devices and computers, one at a time.

This issue is usually caused by resetting a router without resetting all the network connected devices.

Another issue that will cause duplicate IP addresses is assigning static IP addresses to devices that conflict with the router's DHCP address range. If you require static IP addressed devices on the network, they should be configured to be in the same subnet but outside the address range defined for the DHCP server.

7. kamanashi

kamanashi Thread Starter

Ok, thanks for all your help.

8. JohnWill

You can mark your own threads solved using the [​IMG] button at the top of the first page of the thread in the upper left corner.© :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!