1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: White exclamation mark around a red circle

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by harriere, Jan 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. harriere

harriere Thread Starter

Hi guys i am facing a problem for so long..Problem is i am getting a white exclamation mark around red circle in the icons of files which are placed on the desktop...but i am not getting the same circle around the files which are not in the desktop..I am attaching two pics for your reference..All files are opening good and i can make all changes...only thing is i am getting irritated while seeing those red circles..

Is there any chance to remove those circles from the files...Any help would be appreciated...thanks in advance

Attached Files:

• ex1.JPG
      ex1.JPG
      File size:
      32.6 KB
      Views:
    • ex2.JPG
      ex2.JPG
      File size:
      28.8 KB
      Views:
  2. moper

moper

What backup software did you install?
    Mozyhome?
    Mcafee Online Backup?

moper

3. harriere

harriere Thread Starter

actually i installed mozy online backup before some months ago...but after that i formatted my OS several times...

4. moper

moper

How exactly did you 'formatted my OS'?
    A reinstall won't necessarily remove all files and registry settings.

Those icon overlays are not standard in a fresh install of Vista.

moper

5. harriere

harriere Thread Starter

i formatted fully the c drive and installed OS..at that time my system was not in a stable mode...so i nearly formatted some twenty times and installed this Windows Vista Home Premium twenty times...Before these things only i installed mozy online backup...
    what i have to do now...

6. moper

moper

20 times! Did you install all the drivers and Windows Updates each time?

Go to Start, Control Panel, Programs and Features. What programs are listed?

moper

7. harriere

harriere Thread Starter

Sorry for late reply...as my net gone to slow...

At the last time i installed my OS i had a chance to update fully...
    before it will update and ask to restart the system to install the update..
    after restarting the OS wont boot...so i format and install...this happened for nearly twenty times...
    I attached a word file which has the list of programs installed on my computer...

Attached Files:

8. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

They are from McAfee Online Backup . Those icons mean that the files need to be backed up.

9. moper

moper

You can turn them off, if you want to.

Right-click the McAfee Online Backup icon in your taskbar and select Configure.
    Click the Options tab.
    Select Disable icon overlays in Windows Explorer, then click Save.
    Restart your computer.

But, as long as you have the program, you might as well use it. Never go without a backup of some type.

moper

10. harriere

harriere Thread Starter

The programs installed list i got it from bellarc advisor...but i didnt got any tray icon of mcafee online backup and also not in the programs list in the start menu..
    Also from my add/remove programs and in tune up uninstall manager there is no mcafee online backup
    so where can i open mcafee online backup edit the settings that you had told....

11. moper

moper

Did you install Mcafee Antivirus or the Mcafee Security Suite? Did you pay for it?

How did you Format? With a Genuine Windows disk or a manufacturers disk?
    It might be part of the manufacturers limited time software packages. It might have expired.

In the Notification area(lower right of your screen), do you have any Mcafee icons?
    If you do, double click it.

moper

12. harriere

harriere Thread Starter

i am paying for mcafee antivrus plus...i had formatted windows through vista home premium cd which was given with the purchase of dell laptop....
    i had opened mcafee antivirus which is located on the task bar and searched fully for mcafee online backup option...but there is nothing like that..
    belarc advisor is reporting as mcafee backup is currently running....it is telling the filename as "MOBKbackup.exe"
    i searched for this filename and made a double click on it...but the file was not opening...

13. moper

moper

Is it Mcafee Total Protection 2011?

There must be an icon in the notification area that is from Mcafee. Double click it. Do you get something like the attached photo. Notice the 'Data Protection and Backup'.

moper

Attached Files:

14. Gouthaman

Gouthaman

It is definitely from McAfee's Backup service. I remember seeing it when I was on McAfee. Just stop using the Backup service if you don't want it.

15. moper

moper

Supposedly, the Antivirus PLUS does not include Online Backup, and the standalone version of Backup is another $60.

Attached Files:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976351

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice