1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: White square covers center of Desktop

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by haycg, Dec 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. haycg

haycg Thread Starter

I'm working on a Dell Dimension 4600 Series, 1 GB Ram, It was in bad shape, not being able to get to the Desktop or Safe Mode.
    I've corrected most of the problems and it's working pretty good with one exception.
    It has a white blank rectangle in the center of the Desktop 7 1/2 inch X 11 1/2 inch. It can't be moved and it hides the desktop theme.
    It's hidden only when I open most anything, like a web site or maybe the Control Panel.
    I've used Microsoft Clean Boot - Anti Virus - Super Spyware - CCleaner (Clean and Registry) - Service pk 3 is Installed
    I don't have an install CD. Nividia controls don't help.
    If I can't remove this white blank rectangle from the center of the screen I guess my niece will just have to live with it.
    Any suggestions appreicated.

2. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

Can you access Safe Mode? If so check to see if it appears there. Have you currently installed any programs or install any updates recently?

3. jrbuergel

jrbuergel

First Name:
    Jim
  4. haycg

haycg Thread Starter

VictorialiiCe
    I have Safe Mode and the computer working pretty good.
    Jrbuergel
    as you said - It can be some item which starts up with your XP boot,
    That's exactly what it does. The problem is I don't know what name to give it.
    It's a white blank.
    I believe I have autorun on a CD I just forgot about it. But still I need to know were
    it came from or what it's called in order to pick it out of the list.
    I will try your 2 suggestion.

5. haycg

haycg Thread Starter

Jrbuergel
    You solved my white square problem by sending me to Mike Lin's web site.
    http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
    I could never have gotten rid of the white square without your help.
    haycg

6. haycg

haycg Thread Starter

I'm still reporting on my problem because I'm not able to remove StartupCPL from the Control Panel
    I followed all of their directions but nothing works. Below is what they new about but it wasn't reported
    up front. Even so I guess I'm better off with a permanent Control Panel Icon than a blank white square.
    I did the Registry delete that they said to do.

http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

Startup Control Panel is supposed to appear in Add/Remove Programs so that you can uninstall it easily. Unfortunately, at some point several years ago, something changed in Windows such that this entry is not created properly on new installations. Sorry about this. Here are detailed instructions for uninstalling the program manually.

7. jrbuergel

jrbuergel

First Name:
    Jim
    That start up tool in the Control Panel is really a handy applications start up manager to keep in there for future use. Also good for the malware pros is that Hijack This from Trend Micro which creates a long list as a text log file of every thing that starts.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029449

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice