1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: who is on my wifi

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mrl, Nov 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mrl

mrl Thread Starter

Hi,
    I wife just got the new Kindle Fire and when I was setting it up for WiFi, I had to choose from 9 different connections. This started me wondering how do I find out if someone is "piggy backing" by WiFi. I'm running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit on a PC (not MAC). The router was supplied my Brighthouse to give me the internet, a phone, whole house wireless service, and cable TV. The brand name of the router is UBEE. I think I'm using a secure setup because I have to use a password when I want to install a new device to the system.

Mike

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    When you say, "I have to use a password when I want to install a new device to the system" do you mean that you need to enter a WiFi passphrase or password when wirelessly connecting a device to the router?

If so, if your router uses WEP encryption, then it will keep honest people from accidentally piggybacking your connection. However, WEP can easily be hacked in a matter of minutes by someone who wants to get in and knows what they are doing.

Some form of WPA encryption with a long and not easy to guess or crack passphrase would make it much more difficult for someone to hack their way into your system..

If you can log into the administration pages of the router, you may find that one of the pages lists all of the wireless devices connected to it.

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If you have to enter a password to connect to your wireless network, then it's secure. You should be able to log into the router and see what IP addresses have been assigned along with the name of the device they're assigned to.

4. mrl

mrl Thread Starter

Hi DoubleHelix
    Hi cwwozniak
    Yep, I did have to use a passphrase and password when I set up the kindle to wirelessly connect. After that, it remembers it (?).

How do I log on to the administration pages of the router?

Is this a question I should be asking the provider (Brighthouse)?

Mike

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You need the manual for your router and the password to log into it. If Brighthouse didn't give it to you, call them and get it.

6. mrl

mrl Thread Starter

Thanks DoubleHelix

I'll call brighhouse

Mike :D

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027483

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice