1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: who was using my shared folder

Discussion in 'Networking' started by nf24eg, Dec 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nf24eg

nf24eg Thread Starter

I'm having windows 7 ultimate ,I found that my Files And printer Sharing option is ON ,while it should be OFF by default
    is there someway to discover who was using it ??
    OR
    who is using it at the moment ??
    and which file is in use ?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Ask the other people who have access to the computer.

3. nf24eg

nf24eg Thread Starter

is that a joke or a serious reply ?
    I expect it serious because it comes from a Moderator but i think i didn't got what u mean

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I know my reply may not have been helpful, but I meant it seriously. Don't know how the choice would get changed unless somebody has access to your computer, either physically or by some type of remote login. Are you positive that it was off at one time?

5. Doug Vitale

Doug Vitale

You can try looking in the Event Viewer to see when it was enabled (Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Event Viewer, or type eventvwr.exe and hit Enter). Look in Windows Logs->System. You might see when File and Printer Sharing was enabled. Use the 'Find' function.

If you suspect another PC is connecting to your PC, go to Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Computer Management, or type compmgmt.msc and hit Enter. Then go to System Tools->Shared Folders->Sessions and Open Files.

You could also use the netstat command to see all your PC's active connections. Click system menu, type cmd, then right-click cmd.exe and choose 'Run as administrator'. Then in the command prompt box that appears, type
    Code:
    netstat -b -f
    and see if anything suspicious is there.

6. nf24eg

nf24eg Thread Starter

Dear Doug Vitale
    Thank you .. Yes i mean if someone used my shared folder (My Documents) when the file and printing was "ON"
    because when i checked the configration of the Public and also the home , I found that both of them are ON by mistake or by some other reason ... so i was like to know who accessed my shared folders from another PC
    Thank you :) for that help

but i see there is nothing that can show who was there before !!

Thanks you again I will expect it solved but if u have someway that can show me the old events please send to me

:)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029496

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice