1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Whose bios?...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gimpel, Jan 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gimpel

gimpel Thread Starter

I am servicing a friend's HP Pavilion tx1000 (tx1320us) 'Entertainment Notebook PC'. Windows Vista OEM.
    The display screen is mounted on a swivel post, and it can flip around and become a tablet PC.
    Presenting symptom is no boot and no display. there are half a dozen led indicators on the display unit, and they all light but switches for DVD are nonfunctional, as are switches on lower unit to lower, mute, or raise volume. (mute button is lit orange...)

on boot, the drive light flashes a few times, in sync with green light flashing on DVD unit, then stops
    i hear the fan spin up and then slow down, i hear a click through the speakers. absolutely nothing on the screen, no apparent response to keyboard... i plugged the external video into a monitor and 'nada'... ( i was able to remove three screws inside the battery compartment to view the connections to the display. no apparent damage.)

i do not hear the hd spin up, it will not boot from CD.
    with a stethescope i hear two beeps on boot attempt, and nothing else.
    I do not have documentation on the computer, and HP's website does not identify whose bios ( i assume it is either AMI or Pheonix) is in this computer. Can anyone tell me? I will be using what resources i know of to find out what those two beeps mean... can anyone tell me whether the bios is on a socketed chip which can be swapped out?

or any hints about how to diagnose further with no display? (i have removed and swapped the ram chips and that did not change anything...

regards...

gimpel

p.s. the owner of this computer loaned it to the person it was purchased from, and it was returned in this condition. someone told them it is a mobo problem, which seems likely...

2. gimpel

gimpel Thread Starter

putting reply to my own msg, because i found the answers to my questions, and they may be helpful to others.
    this HP Pavilion has a Phoenix Bios.

info on HP's forum told me problem is faulty connection to the GPU, an NVidia chip, and this is a common problem on laptops by other makers with same Nvidia chip. Others have used this method, and it worked for me, at least for a short term fix.

1. one suggested removing HD (prob a good idea)
    2. remove battery
    3. power up computer by cord (make sure fan is blowing) and put in notebook bag and let it warm for some time. (one suggested a half hour, i let mine go four. make sure computer does not shut down when you place it in bag.)
    4. act quickly, while computer is still warm...
    5. press down with firm, medium pressure on the 'enter' key and the '\' right above it (two fingers on enter key)
    6. power down computer, restart, and press on same keys.
    7. try this several times.

it worked for others, it worked for me on second or third try... why it works?...
    GPU in this notebook is just behind these keys... warming up the computer, and then pressing on these keys is reseating the GPU chip in its socket, i am told, and/or refreshing the connections. of course, pressing on the keyboard is risking breaking those keys...

I will probably remove the keyboard (wasnt very difficult, last time i did one), and see if chip is easily removable. (a note somewhere said there is a heat sink on GPU in this computer ) if it is, i will remove chip, use rubbing alcohol and Q-tips to clean chip and socket before replacing. if not, i will spray electrical contact cleaner on connections, and press down on chip to seat firmly. hope others may find this helpful... regards...

3. prunejuice

prunejuice

Sounds similar to the re-flow fix for "Red Ring Of Death" XBOX 360's.

Keep us updated.

4. joeyDneedshelp

joeyDneedshelp

Sounds very insightful, i am in the process of warming. How do you go about with the keyboard? it doesn't seem as easy as others...

5. gimpel

gimpel Thread Starter

joey... yu sed ' it doesnt seem as easy as others... ' i am not sure if you were answering me or the 'other guy' (sorry 'o.g.', i dint notice yur name cuz i am pre-occupied... )

here is the link to the original msg on the HP forum which taut me... [ http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/TX-TM-Series-Notebooks/Why-is-there-no-TX1000-recall/td-p/140683 ] read the 2nd msg, by Acropolis... (he is wrong about the heat affecting the solder in any significant way, read my post on page 8 of that thread... ) but his method works, as i said in my post, prob becuz it is reseating the chip in the socket and renewing the conduction between contacts on the chip and in the socket...

do what Acropolis said, joey, as far as pressing those keys, not too hard, several times, while you power up the computer several times, while the computer is still warm (becuz the warmth may not be essential, but it WILL help.)

let us know if this works for you, and any others, too... regards... g.

6. joeyDneedshelp

joeyDneedshelp

Hey it worked for 10 minutes but then it shut down and then happened again

7. K7M

K7M

You might want to check you tube for reflow or just the model of your computer with a description "no display". Hp had this problem with a lot of their laptops. There are vids on you tube on how to reflow the solder on the nvidia chips.

8. gimpel

gimpel Thread Starter

then try it again...

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975114

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice