1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: why can windows never find drivers on the internet

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by semajjames, Dec 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. semajjames

semajjames Thread Starter

hi

this is just something i would like to know as i find it could save me some time searching for hard to find drivers

when for instance i use device manager to look at drivers ,,, when i press update driver ia asks if i want it to search the internet which i would like it to do and i thought it could do this function but time and time again it can never find the drivers and i have to do it my self ,,,,,,,,,,,

in cases where i do not know the motherboard it would be good if windows could just find the correct chipset drivers

should it be able to do this function or not ??

cheers

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The drivers have to be supplied by the manufacturer to Microsoft for them to be located in that manner, so in most cases it can't find the drivers because none are available on Windows Update which is the only place it looks. Its always best to download the drivers from the manufacturer's website anyway. If you are not sure what the hardware is there's lots of utilities that can help you identify it such as SIW.

3. semajjames

semajjames Thread Starter

thats great

thanks for sorting that out

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031255

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice