1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Why can't i format my hard drive?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by stwalter, Sep 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stwalter

stwalter Thread Starter

I am trying to format my hard drive using the Windows XP CD. (I have Windows XP Pro installed on my computer).

The computer boots from the CD OK.
    Then loads Files.
    Then "setup is starting Windows".
    "Welcome to Setup".
    "To set up Windows XP now Press Enter".
    Then I get the following message.
    "Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer. Make sure that any disk related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufactures supplied diagnostic or setup program.
    Setup cannot continue. The quit setup Press F3."

I have ran check disk twice with no results. I have downloaded a program called kill disc to a floppy but am reluctant to use it if I have underlying problems. The hard drive appears to work fine as do all the programs. The computer has been checked for viruses and spywear etc. and is clean.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

If you would post the details of your system we could give better advice.

wrs

3. Funkmeister

Funkmeister

The hard drive isn't a SATA drive by any chance Steve? If it is, it will require the drivers loaded from floppy before the XP disc will be able to find the disk.

Best,

4. stwalter

stwalter Thread Starter

Thanks for your help guys,

It is a SATA drive.
    My system details are: AMD Athlon XP3000+
    Seagate 80G 7200RPM SATA-150 8M Cache
    Gigabyte GA-7N400 PRO2 Motherboard
    Gigabyte AGP 128 ATI 9600XT Radeon TV/DVI/Twinview
    Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    512MB DDR PC3200 400 Mhz Kingston

What do I need to do now?

Thanks Steve

5. prospect

prospect

Well, why don't ya try going to bootdisk.com and get the bootdisks for XP Pro. You'll need 6 floppys. Then boot from the bootdisk, you will go thru all 6. Then it will tell ya to put the XP Pro cd in. I've used them a few time when my computer got cute. :)

6. Old Rich

Old Rich

Very early in the installation process, When XP is first loading drivers, you should see a prompt at the bottom of the black screen that says "Press F6 to load SCSI drivers" do that and you can load the sata drivers for the drive from a floppy . . you should be able to find sata drivers on the wibsite of the drive manufacturer.

wrs

7. Funkmeister

Funkmeister

It may be best to use the SATA driver included on your motherboard disc. You will normally need to copy these from the CD to a floppy and do as simpswr details above.

The SATA drivers are located in E:\Other\8237\DriverDisk\SATA (where E:\ represents my CDROM) on the Gigabyte motherboard disc. You need to copy all the contents of that folder to a floppy (I guess the manufacturers presume you have access to a second machine for this!!) and hit F6 when instructed. You will then be given a choice of OS and you will want to choose XP. The SATA driver will be installed and the installation will continue as normal. Be aware that if you don't have an IDE drive connected the system will still attempt to scan for one and this can cause a slight delay. It can be countered by setting the BIOS settings for IDE to 'None'. This may also be of interest should you wish to build a RAID array and configure the drives for mirroring or striping etc.

Here is the manual for your motherboard if required and I know there's been a BIOS update recently for some of the Gigabyte boards so it might be worth doing that while the system is in a virgin state.

Good luck and hope this has been helpful to you.

Regards,

8. prospect

prospect

So my suggestion for the bootdisk wont work?

9. Funkmeister

Funkmeister

Hi Prospect

Unless the bootdisk.com boot disks have the SATA drivers on then no, that won't work I don't think. The problem is that the XP installation can't find the SATA drive to begin with. Do you know if the disks have the SATA drivers?

Regards,

10. stwalter

stwalter Thread Starter

Hi guy, thanks for your help.

I couldn't find the file E:\Other\8237\DriverDisk\SATA on the mother board cd, but
    I found E:\other\sil\si3112\I think it's the right one, its about 672 kb on the floppy.
    When i try to load them it says "The file txtsetup.oem could not be found, press any key to continue".
    I know the file is there, i've search the floppy,found it, open it with note pad and it says the following .
    This file installs the SiI 3112 non-RAID seial ATA driver as part
    ; of text mode setup on Windows NT, Windows 2000, and Windows XP.
    ;
    ; Copyright (C) 2002-2003 by Silicon Image, Inc.
    ; All rights reserved

[Disks]
    disk1 = "Silicon Image SiI 3x12 SATALink Driver Installation Disk",\si3112.sys,\

I'm at a bit of a loss now. Have I got the right driver? And why can't it read it?
    I would be grateful for any help.

Steve

11. Funkmeister

Funkmeister

I'm making a leap of faith and presuming that Gigabyte Motherboard discs are all of a similar vein here - I think it's a fairly reasonable one but who knows.

Anyway, the files contained in the folder are:

txtsetup.oem
    VT8237 (which is the SATA device on the motherboard - VT = Via Technologies)

Folders:

Win98-ME
    Win2000
    Winnt40
    WinXP

Copy all of these to a floppy and it should work just fine.

Regs,

12. prospect

prospect

Funkmeister, I don't know anything thing about the files you guys are talking about. :confused: All I know is that those 6 start up disk are supposed to get your HD ready for the install of XP/Pro/Home. But I think you have to choose the right ones. But I don't remember now.
    So if he keeps having trouble with the install of XP, :mad: it sure wouldn't hurt to give them a try. ;)

13. Funkmeister

Funkmeister

Prospect, it is possible that those boot disks contain the information required to tell the Windows installation how to find the SATA drive. The issue at the moment is that the install is looking for IDE drives which aren't there. The setup has to be told how to access the SATA disk and the drivers to do this are on the motherboard disc supplied. Until this is rectified, Steve won't be able to get the XP CD to acknowledge the drive is there.

Once Steve has the SATA drivers on disk, he can hit F6 when asked to so he can provide the XP CD with the right driver. The fact is that you have to have the files I mentioned as well as the folders - it means that when the driver disk runs, it gives you the option as to what the OS is that you wish to install. If you don't have the right files and folders, the disk will not be bootable.

I am using a very similar setup - Gigabyte GA-7VT600 1394 motherboard with Seagate 160Gb SATA HDD and this was the process I had to go through. I must confess it was the first time I had done it and there was a little trial and error. I was lucky to have a spare PC to hand from which to create the floppy. Those with 1 PC would be screwed...

Regards,

14. prospect

prospect

Is that right. So whats the problem, the HD or the motherboard? It sounds like there is a garbage can happly waiting for one of them. LOL.

15. Funkmeister

Funkmeister

Prospect, are you yanking my chain? ;)

Nothing is WRONG, just needs to be told how to be configured... As I say, the boot disks you describe may have those drivers on them..!

Regards,

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!