1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Why can't I make the seagate Baracuda dirve into a bootable drive?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by muckmail, Jan 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. muckmail

muckmail Thread Starter

I have a Seagate 7200.10 Baracuda SATA drive that seems to be good when I install it as secondary drive
    on another computer. I can copy and more files to/form it.

I decided to place this drive in a Acer AST180-UD400B and install XP on it but I could not boot off the drive. So I used acer backup image software to do a backup on the computer. I found that the computer would not boot off this drive with the Acer image backup. I had another drive that I placed in the ACER computer with Windows seven on it and it boot to password state. The computer that I am installing the Seagate drive in is a ACER AST180-UD400B

Why can't I make the seagate into a bootable drive with XP?

Thank you

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

For XP to run corectly on a SATA drive you either have to install XP with the SATA drivers integrated into a copy of the disc, use the F6 button to install the SATA drivers during installation or run the SATA drive in IDE mode.

3. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Also note, the drive supports SATA 1.5 Gbps or 3.0 Gbps, but you need to set the speed using jumpers on the drive. The computer is old enough I am guessing it is SATA 1.5 Gbps.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

And if you are not doing so, the operating system has to be installed on the machine that will be running it. If installed on a different machine, it will not boot.

(Try Frand4d's advice, too. Most boards set the speed automatically, but older boards, and even some newer ones, need the jumper to have it work properly. Leaving it at 1.5 until you get all the other problems sorted out will at least eliminate that as a possibility.)

5. muckmail

muckmail Thread Starter

The drive does have a jumper for 1.5 Gbps setting so I will try that setting.

6. muckmail

muckmail Thread Starter

Well I set the drive to 1.5 Gbps and then tryed to install the Acer backup software on
    it without any luck. I noticed that the Acer does not mention SATA in it bios. It just mentioned
    IDE drives although it has SATA connections on the motherboard.
    Any other suggestions?
    Thank you

7. muckmail

muckmail Thread Starter

After attempting to make a boot drive (1.5 setting) on the Acer I took the SATA drive and connected it as a secondary drive on another computer and I see were the install process made
    install and program files on the nonbooting drive so what is going on? Why can't this drive
    be a boot drive for XP?
    Thank you,

8. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    You need to check in the Bios and set the boot device order to 1st CD/DVD 2nd HDD then boot with the XP CD. Delete any existing partitions and make new one(s) and do the install onto the 1st one. There is a reboot during the install but DON'T 'press any key to boot from CD' this time and the install should continue to completion.

EDIT : do the install with just that one HDD connected !

9. Mark1956

Mark1956

Which ever way you do this the XP install will not be successfull unless you install the SATA drivers during the installation or run the SATA drive in IDE mode.

This is the best method to use and will show you how to include Service Pack 3 which saves a lot of time getting windows updates.
    Slipstream XP with SP3 and SATA drivers

10. muckmail

muckmail Thread Starter

I look at the NLite program and exprimented with it but I am still a little confused with it.
    First where do I find the drives for my drive/motherboard.
    My version of XP does not include SP2 or SP3 so how do I incomporate those
    service packs into the install cd?
    Thank you,

11. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    How far did you get with the XP install on this HDD ?

12. muckmail

muckmail Thread Starter

I am having problems finding the SATA drivers for the Acer AST180-UD400B
    for windows XP. The Acer spec says it uses nVidia MCP61S + MCP61P for the
    motherboard chip set. I download a chip set driver file called CHIPSET_NVIDIA_4.5.7_Xpx86.zip from acer website but I don't know if that is the proper file or not.
    Right now I am stuck at that point.
    Any suggestions.

13. DVOM

DVOM

It's not the chipset driver, it's the SATA driver. You go to the Acer website and look through downloads/support for your model (Acer AST180) and you come to this page:

http://support.acer.com/us/en/product/default.aspx?tab=1&modelId=386

Scroll down, the SATA driver is there.

Then google "nlite xp sata driver", that'll tell you how to insert the SATA driver into the final CD.

Google "xp sp3 download". Get the IT Professional network download. 316MB exe file.

Then go to google and search "nlite xp slipstream sp3"

With XP, I think you just need the most recent SP. Unlike Vista where you have to stack them.

It's not complicated but it is a long drawn out process to put it all together with nlite. With the downloads, the copying of your XP disk to a folder on your desktop, to nlite merging the sp3 and the SATA driver, to creating the ISO file, to burning the ISO file to disk, to installing it. You're looking at 3.5 to 5 hours. Then, if it doesn't work, you try to figure out where it went wrong and you start over. (usually the wrong SATA driver)

14. Intel_Xtreme

Intel_Xtreme

It will boot however 90% of the time it will give BSODs.

15. Mark1956

Mark1956

DVOM, that is for the Vista drivers. The XP SATA drivers are in the chipset drivers package which the OP has already downloaded. Also, I had already provided a guide for using nLite which includes links for downloading nLite and the correct Service Pack 3 version.

You can find the drivers by opening these folders in sequence after you have unzipped the chipset package.

IDE > WinXP > sataraid

When using nLite you need to point it to the sataraid folder and select the .inf file which is called nvraid.

Please ask if you get stuck anywhere along the line.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1036361

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice