1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Why Can't I select text on some websites?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sistafatti, Sep 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sistafatti

sistafatti Thread Starter

Why is it that on most websites you can select, copy and paste text to a separate document and others you can't? For example, while visiting the snopes.com website I attempted to select some text to copy and paste into an email. The text would not select. I tried several other sites just to see if I was having problems with my computer and I could select and copy text with no difficulty. Do some sites prohibit this?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

I think they do, to prevent theft. It's the same as the right-click being disabled entirely on some pages. It is disabled on Snopes.com:

"function disableselect(e)"

Some browsers, like Flashpeak's Slimbrowser, have a "Save As" function under the File menu that has .txt as an option and will create a text file with all the text from the page. It works on Snopes, too.

You cal also save it if you turn off javascript for the page.

3. sistafatti

sistafatti Thread Starter

Thanks for the good info.....That's what I like about this site, you can always learn something new.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

If your browser allows it, you can also use the "Save As" function to save only the HTML. Then, open the html page in your browser and View Source. Now that the source is on your machine, you can edit it. Delete all the top part of the source about scripting, down to where the html begins. Save as you close, and the text will now be selectable.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/745937