1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Why do I keep getting "OE can compact messages" message"?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by wgreene, Nov 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wgreene

wgreene Thread Starter

I keep getting a message telling me that "to free up disk space, Outlook Express can compact messages." It pops up every time I attempt to close OE. I've clicked to start the compacting process several times, but invariably I get a message telling me: "The folder is currently in use by Outlook Express or by another application." At that point I click Cancel to close it out. In other words, I cannot get the compacting process to run its course.:confused:

Unfortunately, this sequence of events keeps happening again and again, and I don't know how to stop it. I would greatly appreciate hearing from someone who might have an answer to this problem. Thank you.

2. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

I would try running a defrag in safe mode, reboot to normal mode and try the compact in OE.

3. wgreene

wgreene Thread Starter

Thanks! I'll give that a try.:) :)

4. wgreene

wgreene Thread Starter

Thank you very much for your help!:)

Well, I did the defrag in Safe Mode and rebooted and once again I got the OE Compact Messages message. At first I thought the problem was still there. I started the compacting process twice, both times getting the same message: "The folder is currently in use by Outlook Express or by another application." However, the third time was the charm. The compacting process went through very quickly and the problem has been resolved.

I've compacted messages a number of times in the past, but I don't recall ever having any false starts/interruptions like those I've just experienced. I'm pretty sure the process always went through to completion on the first try.

Anyhow, the important thing is that the problem has been cleared up. Thanks again for your help!(y)

5. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

You're welcome! I've seen the same thing happen with Outlook pst files so it was a guess but I'm happy to hear it worked. :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/520934

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice