1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Why do I need to change my password?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by referee07, Feb 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

Ever now and then, I get a message when I start Vista that says something like, "Your password will expire in 11 days. You should think about changing it now." If I am the only one using this computer, why in God's name do I need to change my password?! Why does Microsoft feel the need to make me change my password?! I have always changed my password when I get these messages (grumbling all the while) but I was wondering what will happen if I don't change the password, and is there some way to disable this nuisance? Thanks in advance.

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

3. Squashman

4. jonmcc33

jonmcc33 Banned

Are you on your own personal computer or some computer at work/school? Usually companies will force password change policies for security reasons. When I was in the USAF it was every 90 days but the password itself had to be strict. Where I work at now is every 60 days but you can use anything for your password as long as it's 8 characters or more. Dictionary words are allowed.

If it's your home computer then you must have set the policy through Group Policy by accident.

5. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

Squashman and jonmcc33, thanks for the replies. I think I have set the expiration date at 999 days. I had to use "Method Three," but as I completed the change, all of the screen shots looked ok. I guess I will find out the next time I boot-up my computer. Thanks again.

Referee07

6. Squashman

Why didn't you just set it to unlimited?

7. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

Squashman, the instructions from your first posting had that option, but the instructions from the second posting didn't. I thought about putting "0" but wasn't sure if if would work. This morning when I booted my computer the "Your password is set to expire in XX days..." did not show up so I believe the problem is solved. I can go back and change the "999" to "0". Thanks again.

8. earld2

earld2

If it's your computer, why did you think you need a password? just makes things more complex than neccessary.

9. jonmcc33

jonmcc33 Banned

I always use a password for my computers. It's not complex at all and helps keep prying eyes away from your stuff. (y)

10. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

I use a password mainly in case someone is at my home (friends, repairmen, etc.) when I am using my computer. With a screen saver that requires a password (or when I put my computer "to sleep") if I'm off doing something else, anyone else in my home can't go snooping in my computer.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/680737