1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Why does it take a second click on a link to speed up a web page download?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by hhannam, Jan 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hhannam

hhannam Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dick
    I have noticed in recent weeks that my computer has developed a trend towards slower web page downloading. It used to only be milliseconds or a couple seconds at most (majority of times) to make a change. Now it can take up to several seconds (over ten seconds sometimes) to complete my page changes. You should know that I use a Firefox browser.

What I have learned that I can do to speed up the process is to either manually close down the selection and re-enter it, or just click on the link a second time in some cases, and the page usually comes up immediately. Interestingly this second attempt works whether I do it almost immediately, or wait a few or several seconds, so it gives the impression that somehow it is releasing whatever it is that's blocking or slowing the download.

If anyone recognizes this behavior or has an idea what may be causing the inordinate increase in page change delay, or perhaps even more significantly why the second click is so effective, I'd appreciate hearing from you.

Note: I regularly clean my browser cache and registry with CCleaner.....more than once a day, depending on how much activity, especially pictorial or video, that I'm engaged in.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+, x86 Family 15 Model 75 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3518 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 238409 MB, Free - 167864 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTek Computer INC., NODUSM3
    Antivirus: MSE

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You didn't say which browser you're using, but it may have too many add-ons/plug-ins enabled which will increase a webpage loading time.

You're heading for grief by using a registry cleaner on a daily basis.

----------------------------------------------------------------

3. hhannam

hhannam Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dick
    Thanks for bringing that fact to my attention. I'll edit my post to include my use of the Firefox browser. As for the registry cleaning, I also failed to distinguish between the frequency I use the registry cleaner of CCleaner and the cache cleaner which I use much more. The fellow I have used for years for computer fixes is the one who originally reassured me that he trusted CCleaner's registry cleaner to not do any damage and that he had used it on his own computers for a long time. CNET's review sums it up pretty well...... 'As with all Registry cleaners, we recommend that you proceed with caution before fixing or deleting any files. CCleaner does offer an online help feature, but for basic cleaning, you probably won't need it.'

4. hhannam

hhannam Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dick
    Thank you flavallee for your suggestion, I did remove or disable as many add-ons and plug-ins as possible from my Firefox browser, and my page downloading is now much quicker and doesn't have the multi-second lags that it did before.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    :) (y)

----------------------------------------------------------------

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086094

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice