Solved: Why Does This Keep Happening ? (IE8)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Frank4d

Retired Trusted Advisor
By default, the "Notify when downloads complete" option is enabled. A window should open asking if I want to open the file I just downloaded or open the folder I downloaded the file into. This option keeps getting disabled, apparently by itself and Google hasn't been helpful. :confused: Does anyone know why?

Specs: Windows 7 Ultimate X86 SP1, IE8 32-bit.

Phantom010

Retired Trusted Advisor
Have you checked the following registry key?

For XP, it should be this. However, I'm not sure for Windows 7.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main

NotifyDownloadComplete should be set to Yes.

Frank4d

Retired Trusted Advisor
The registry key is the same for Windows 7. I have found whether I enable the setting in IE8 or in the registry, it shows disabled both places when the issue occurs.

Phantom010

Retired Trusted Advisor
I'm thinking maybe some sort of add-on or software?

It's a long shot, but have you tried running IE8 without add-ons? Or, running the computer in Safe Mode with Networking?

Frank4d

Retired Trusted Advisor
I will start with disabling the non-Microsoft and non-Adobe add ons and see where that leads me. I figure if it shows manufacturer "Unknown" then I don't need it.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online