1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Why does Win7 hide files

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by rayi23, Feb 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rayi23

rayi23 Thread Starter

Hello: I have a SSD drives showing 111 gb. Now as I go through all the folders in the SSD drive with hidden files showing, I added 32 gb in all the folders of the space I am using (windows, program files, etc). Windows 7 is saying that I am using 79 gb with 32 gb of free space. Where are 47+gb of files? that is a lot. I have an extra internal drive where I keep photo, music and video files. I just cannot figure out how there could be 47+gb of unaccountable files.

111gb - 32 (free) = 79 being used. All the folders (windows, program files, etc) in the SSD drive add up to only 32gb. 79gb - 32 = 47gb. So where are those 47 gb of files. I am just approximating but when you are talking about 47gb, unaccountable files, it hardly matters. I did do a disc cleanup but it hardly put a dent. Any insight is appreciated.

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

3. rayi23

rayi23 Thread Starter

That is a lot of slack. I don't recall having so much slack in the past. Is this more common with SSD drives? This is pretty inefficient. I have almost twice the amount of slack as I have the space I am using.

4. DaveBurnett

The question mark is intended to suggest a question??

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Control Panel (large or small icons) - System - System protection - System Protection tab - is Protection On for the "C drive"? If so click on Configure and see how much space is consumed by that.

6. DaveBurnett

Try a portable freeware program called Spacesniffer. That presents you with an easy to see picture of what is taking up the space.

7. rayi23

rayi23 Thread Starter

Seems like you always learn something. Thanks for SpaceSniffer. SpaceSniffer turned out to be a pretty valuable tool to see what is going on in your drive. It turns out "System volume information" folder had 46 gb of just files. I was not able to initially locate this folder, so I looked up about it and also discovered another thing you can uncheck beside show hidden files: hide protected operating system files in your folder options. And there it appeared in my C drive named System volume information which showed 46 gb. This computer is really not that important; the article said in Disc Cleanup, under more options ,you can delete System Restro and shadow copies. I wanted to see what would happen. After I clicked delete, only 3 gb of System volume information was left over. I regainmy space back. This seems like awful lot of system files for a computer I recently installed and really don't do that much and even only have a minimal amount of programs. I put any other files on another internal drive. I really haven't even used it that much. But 46 gb taken on a 120gb drive is a lot. At this point, I don't really know what I lost but system restore files costs a lot and then there are "shadow copies". I have several computers and will eventually go through them all. Any insights is appreciated.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What percentage of the partition are you allowing for System Protection?

9. rayi23

rayi23 Thread Starter

You had actually suggested that I look there. For some reason it is set at 50%. I probably just installed it a couple of months ago. I really didn't set anything and generally don't and go by default settings, although I do turn off most of bells and whistler in advanced settings that I really could do without. You really don't need most of them. . I noticed my main computer is only set at 4% by default. It is odd that it would be default set it at 50%. No wonder it is using up so much space. when you only have 112gb to begin with you noticed that things like that. My other computers have at least 250gb and more.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1142257

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice