Solved: Why does Windows PHotoeditor work on my laptop and not on my desktop

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Kapustin Yar

Both use windows 7. Its the old version of photoeditor that came out in 1998.

I'm using Home Premium

They are both Home Premium? Do you have the same services enabled in both?

Try Compatibility Mode for both the installer and/or the program after it is installed.

But there are certainly some excellent photo editors out there. GIMP is comparable to Photoshop and free.

Kapustin Yar

They are both Home Premium? Do you have the same services enabled in both?

Try Compatibility Mode for both the installer and/or the program after it is installed.

But there are certainly some excellent photo editors out there. GIMP is comparable to Photoshop and free.
Yes they're both home premium
Same services are installed by both except sharing and acronis true image
Compatibility mode makes no difference
Gimp wants me to install several things that look suspiciousl.

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Irfanview is a good freeware replacement for Photoeditor that works well in W7
Gimp is a good freeware alternative to Photoshop

Phantom010

Retired Trusted Advisor
Yes they're both home premium
Same services are installed by both except sharing and acronis true image
Compatibility mode makes no difference
Gimp wants me to install several things that look suspiciousl.
Are they both 32-bit?

Phantom010

Retired Trusted Advisor
Are both Windows 7 updated?

The program is very old and may not support some hardware or drivers on your computer, lile video. Is the computer that's having problems older (at least devices) or newer than the other?

Going back a bit, what exactly do you mean by "work"? Do they both install and not run, run with errors, not install, not work as they should, or what?

Kapustin Yar

Going back a bit, what exactly do you mean by "work"? Do they both install and not run, run with errors, not install, not work as they should, or what?
HI, I press the icon for Photoeditor and I get a popup from User Account Control that says

"Do you want the following program from an unknown publisher to make changes to this computer?"

This is in yellow. Then below this message it says

File Name: Photoed.exe
Publisher Unknown
File Origin: Hard drive of this computer

off the the left there is a little button that say Show details?

It gives the choice of either yes or no. I click YES and nothing happens. The popup disappears. Sometimes when I did this Bitdefender Antivirus comes up.

What do I do? I can't take a screen shot of it because when it try to take a screenshot, the surrounding desktop dims when I click YES and then screenshot doesn't work. When the dimming goes off I can take screenshots again.

I took a screenshot of what I have on my desktop. AS you can see the photoeditor icon on my desktop has a funny tag on it. The same funny tag is show on my same photoeditor icon circled in yellow on the bottom right.

Here it is

http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz102/Hulk701/pic1.jpg

Kapustin Yar

Have you tried disabling the UAC before installing the program?

Do the same before taking that screenshot.
Hi Phantom.

Disabling UAC didn't get it to open but it did get rid of that annoying pop-up. What got it to work was changing the shortcut properties from open normally to open maximized. When I did this I got it to work. For some reason open normally opened it minimized.

Thanks everyone who helped me with this. I know it was long and I appreciate the assistance

Kappy!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online