1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Why is my DVD burner taking so long?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by shanikf, Jun 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shanikf

shanikf Thread Starter

I have a Lite-On DVD drive that can has a max write speed of 16x. I am currently trying to burn a 667mb movie onto a DVD using Nero. I am just wondering why (according to Nero) the burn is going to take 2 hours! It appears as though a lot of time is being spent 'transcoding" the movie. What can I do to make it burn faster?

PS: The original file format of the movie was "FMPG", however most third party software can't recognize it. Thus I used the fourcc changer to change it to "XVID." Could this be the problem?

2. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Nero takes awhile to convert, 2 hours ain't bad. It has nothing to do with the burning end of it.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Video takes forever to convert, that's a fact of life. :)

4. emoxley

emoxley

Could also be that your drive went to PIO mode. It needs to be in DMA mode. Try this:
    To ensure your drives are operating in DMA mode: (1) Control Panel, (2) System, (3) Goto the Hardware Tab, (4) Device Manager, (5) IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers, (6) Right Click on Primary IDE Channel --> Properties, (7) Goto the Advanced Settings Tab, Make sure both drop down boxes say 'DMA if Available', Click OK,(8) Right Click on Seconady IDE Channel --> Properties, (9) Goto the Advanced Settings Tab, Make sure both drop down boxes say 'DMA if Available', Click OK, (10) Reboot.
    Good luck!

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Due to this statement, I kinda' figured that it was just encoding processing. :)

6. emoxley

emoxley

Could be. But he said:
    That just seemed way too long for a 667mb file. Mine does a 4-6 GB file, quicker than that!
    When it takes an extra long time, for this stuff, my first thoughts is PIO mode. It doesn't hurt to check it, and get that little bit of troubleshooting out of the way............. :)

7. emoxley

emoxley

@shanikf............
    Since you haven't posted to this thread since June 20. I take it for granted that your problem is solved?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/586261

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice