1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Why is my upload speed so slow?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jiawho, Jan 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jiawho

jiawho Thread Starter

What is the ratio supposed to be between the download speed and the upload speed in a normal working configuation?

My webpages are taking forever to load. I used this speedtest...
    http://my.verizon.com/micro/speedtest/broadband/#
    and the result was

download speed: 7.427 Mbps
    upload speed: 0.006 Mbps

This problem started yesterday and I don't know how to troubleshoot or fix the problem.

Here is my system and equipment that I am using:

My provider is cable, Brighthouse, hooked up to their Scientific Atlanta modem and from there it is hooked up to a Belkin Connect N150 wireless router. I am not using the wireless on my laptop but am wired directly to the router.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Genuine Intel(R) CPU T2050 @ 1.60GHz, x86 Family 6 Model 14 Stepping 8
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 2549 Mb
    Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 945GM Express Chipset Family, 128 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 114219 MB, Free - 73573 MB;
    Motherboard: Intel Corporation, MPAD-MSAE Customer Reference Boards, Not Applicable, Not Applicable
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Whatever your ISP declares it to be (presumably they have configured their network that way). For example, my cable ISP advertises 12 Mbps down, 1 Mbps up.

I'm not convinced that the results from that Verizon test are reliable for people who do not have Verizon service. How about trying Speedtest.net? Using that what results do you get with a connection to the router, and what do you get with a connection directly to the modem?

3. jiawho

jiawho Thread Starter

Everything is OK, now! It must have been a temporary problem with the cable provider. My download speed is now, 9.57 Mbps and the upload is 0.973 Mbps! Thanks for the info.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

You're welcome. :)

You can mark this solved using the [​IMG] button at the upper left of the page.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972167