Solved: Why is the clock speed of my cpu off?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.
Do you know what make and model your motherboard is. It may be just something to do with uping the multiplier to the one that is correct for the CPU. Also do you know what model CPU was in there before?

You have to set the FSB in the bios to 166MHz (this may be displayed as 333Mhz) and the multiplier to 13 this will mean that it runs at 166x13=2158Mhz

Kapustin Yar

You have to set the FSB in the bios to 166MHz (this may be displayed as 333Mhz) and the multiplier to 13 this will mean that it runs at 166x13=2158Mhz
Okay, so if I want the correct speed to show up what do I have to set the multiplier too?

That is something that AMD did to advertise. As far as I know that was what intel cpu they could compete with. Like the 3200 (2.2Ghz) was designed to compete with the Pentium 4 3.2Ghz. That is what I have been told.

Kapustin Yar

Wow, thanks for telling me. I guess I should have stayed with what I had. I would have been better off. Live and learn. Thanks.:)

Kapustin Yar

Well the 3000 CPU you bought should still be a little faster but not by much.

Okay so if it says it has a clock speed of 2.1 and it only has a clock speed of 1.75, but it is still faster than my 2600 it is because of .....what?

no, if you set the FSB and the multiplier to the correct values in the bios it will run faster than your old one. You need to change the multiplier to 13x.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online