1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Why no sound after Radeon driver rollback?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by wgreene, Jul 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wgreene

wgreene Thread Starter

This morning I had downloaded and was installing optional Windows updates, one of which pertained to my Radeon 9700 Pro. All of a sudden I got the dreaded blue screen with white lettering informing me that my computer had been shut down to prevent possible damage. Hoping this problem might be a temporary glitch, I restarted and got the blue screen again, this time telling me the following:

A driver has over-run a stack-based buffer. This over-run could potentially allow a malicious user to gain control of this machine.

I called my nephew who told me to reboot in Safe Mode and do a Radeon driver rollback, I believe, which is what I did.

I then rebooted and everything looked fine. I was able to get my e-mail and surf the Net. The only problem is that I now have no sound. I figure there should be a simple way to get my sound back and would appreciate very much hearing from someone who can tell me how.

Another thing my nephew told me was to install only the important Windows updates, not the optional ones since they can cause problems like the one I experienced.

Thank you.

2. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

your nephew is smart.

i don't install any updates to xppro and don't have any problems.

reinstall the sound driver.

3. wgreene

wgreene Thread Starter

Thank you for the help, island boy. I'll reinstall the sound driver as soon as I exit here.

Yes, when it comes to computers my nephew is much smarter than I am. I depend on him a lot and, to my amazement, he invariably either solves my problem or at least gets me headed in the right direction.

I lived in Honolulu in the early to mid-70s, first in Waikiki, then at Mo'ili'ili Hongwanji Dormitory on Isenberg St., near the old Honolulu Stadium on King St., which has since been turned into a park. The dormitory is probably no longer there. My productive time was spent working at the Pearl Harbor Shipyard and going to UH-Manoa, first at night and later as a day student. I sure miss the glorious weather!

Thanks again.:)

4. wgreene

wgreene Thread Starter

By the way, I'm curious to know if doing a System Restore instead of the driver rollback would've been another way to solve my problem. My first thought was to try System Restore, but then I decided to call my nephew to ask his opinion. I know that System Restore can fix a lot problems, but I'm not sure if it would have in this case.

5. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

when you face the fact that this stuff is really magic........and if you went back to a known good point where the sound worked, probably.

i personally have never used the restore function.

i needed a clean install once from the original xppro on a p4/1.7 i built years ago, when xp 1st came out.

6. wgreene

wgreene Thread Starter

Well, I finally got my sound back, but it wasn't nearly as easy as I had hoped. Actually, I went through quite a lengthy ordeal, eventually going to the Creative website for the proper download.

Please excuse me now while I sum up the route I took.

First, I went to Dell's website and downloaded an audio driver (Analog Devices ADI 198x Integrated Audio) and and audio patch/upgrade (Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 Digital), but that didn't solve my problem. In fact, I got an error telling me:

Setup could not detect Sound Blaster Audio card your system. Please ensure that your Sound Blaster hardware is properly installed before running this setup program.

Soon afterward I got the following message:

CTSysVol.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for this inconvenience.

Then this:

Sounds & Audio Devices Properties -- Volume Control: There is a problem with your sound hardware. To install mixer devices, go to Control Panel, click Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Add Hardware. (I wasn't able to do this.)

Next I was informed that my Creative SB Audigy 2 (WDM) was working properly, and that if I was having problems with this device, then I should click Troubleshoot. At this point I went through a tedious and ultimately unsuccessful troubleshooting process. I went to the Windows Update website but was unable to locate an updated sound device driver. Then, instead of attempting a rollback or a reinstallation, I ended up going to ccftp.creative.com where I downloaded and ran an Audigy 2 driver which was compatible with Win XP Pro. Even though this process finally proved successful, an existing driver was detected and had to be uninstalled before I could complete the installation. Actually, from this point it was necessary to reboot twice before my sound returned.

Looking back, I wish I'd gone to the Creative website first, a choice which would've saved me two hours of my semi-precious time!

Thanks again for your help!:) (y)

7. The Hound

The Hound

Usually (obviously not always) the preferred order to get drivers for a Dell box is Dell first, because they use components which can be somewhat different from the retail version. Component manufacturer (like Creative) second, because Dell might not quite keep up with the latest (like in your case).
    Next is W&% Mart, the grocery store, the mini-mart down by the tracks, the guy with the trenchcoat behind the auto parts store, and finally, when it's snowing in Kaaawa, Windows Optional Updates.

"Ua ma'u ke'e'a o ka'ina i kapono..."

8. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

dell has drivers for each machine and the service tag tells which is recommended for all hardware as it was delivered. chipset, nic, sound, video, modem, ad nausem.......

the 9700 driver should have been installed by xp, worst case, you use the install cd.
    i don't recommend letting ms do any hardware updates.

picking just any driver, probably won't work.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/594930

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice