Solved: Why SATA ard drives read less than they are?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mbush376

I am running Xp Home. I have two SATA 320 Gig hard drives, one with windows on it the other as a back-up. Why do both of them say I only have 298 gigs? They both register as 320 in the BIOS. They were both formatted as NTFS. Any help would be appreciated.

Frank4d

Retired Trusted Advisor
Part of the difference is drive manufacturer gigabytes vs. Windows gigabytes. According to drive manufacturers, 1 GB = 1,000,000,000 bytes. And according to Microsoft, 1 GB = 1,073,741,824 bytes. The remainder of the difference is due to overhead associated with formating the drive.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
320,000,000,000 / 1,073,741,824 = 298.023 real gigabytes. Looks good to me. :D

mbush376

Thanks for the answers. I just wonder if you ever really get what you pay for?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online