1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Why the connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by PerkyMite, Sep 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PerkyMite

PerkyMite Thread Starter

Hi Guys,

I went around to my friends to help him establish his new wireless connection from BT, Blind leading the blind, but we got it sorted ok. The first time I had actually been involved in Wireless. One of the things that struck me was that he still needed a connection from the old BT Line.

I thought, in my ignorance, that we would plug the wireless (router?) in to a 13 amp. wall socket and it would then receive the signal from the nearest mast and broadcast that signal to his computer. Like a Lap top registering on a hot spot ariel maybe.

Does this mean that all Wireless connections are restrained by the speed of the line, distance from the Exchange, state of the cable etc. etc... The same as my modem?

Thanks for any information

Perky

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Of course they are! All the wireless router does is allow you to use the same ISP connection wirelessly, it doesn't receive signals from some mysterious Internet source. :) You are still getting the Internet feed from the exact same line as a wired connection.

3. PerkyMite

PerkyMite Thread Starter

thanks John, now there you go :)

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Sorry to have to bring you the bad news. :D

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/751746

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice