1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Why the huge dif in price here for the gx 260

Discussion in 'Games' started by tony oh, Jun 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tony oh

tony oh Thread Starter

Hiya,

I'm thinking of upgrading my ageing 8800gts 320mb to a gtx260.....I'm mostly playing at 1650x1050.

Anyway I was looking at the prices at scan and found the asus gtx 260 for £121 but the bfg OC at £220.
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Index.aspx?NT=1-0-17-588-0

OK so there is a bit of an overclock but I'm sure I could do that myself....but other than that what is the difference?

Oh would anyone recommend this card and has anyone in the UK seen it cheaper.

Thanks guys.:)

2. BG-0

BG-0

Well, Asus has shorter warranty, worse quality control (in all their goods nowadays), and BFG just wants to rip you off if you're a brand-loyal customer. Get the cheap XFX 260. Or maybe even the Asus. I don't know why XFX has 2 year warranty on so many cards, when some come with lifetime, or double lifetime warranty...

3. tony oh

tony oh Thread Starter

Thanks....I think I'll take your advice and go for the xfx.

That's a decent enough card to play most games at the above res?

4. BG-0

BG-0

More than decent. Your Hiper 530 PSU though... I would upgrade that first before getting a GTX260. You don't want to buy a new card just for it to break right away because of a theoretically-just-enough, degraded to not-quite-enough, power supply, now do you?

5. tony oh

tony oh Thread Starter

Forgot about that....must look up the dif in power requirements.

Thanks for the advice:)

6. tony oh

tony oh Thread Starter

Aarg.....yeah total is 36A on my psu even though it has enough overall power....seems I need at least 38A.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-260-review/4

Such a pain too as when I was building the PC I kind of skimped on the case...I have to take out the motherboard to change my PSU.

Well I was thinking of changing my cpu fan....great it'll be like building my pc from scratch...lol.

Thanks I would have missed that altogether.

I'll mark it solved:) ......cries a little.

7. BG-0

BG-0

If you upgrade the PSU be sure to get a reputable brand one... OCZ, PC Power & Cooling, Corsair, Enermax, FSP...

8. tony oh

tony oh Thread Starter

I had renewed hope for a bit when I remembered the new gtx 260 were 55nm not the older 65nm......but still not quite enough.:(

9. tony oh

tony oh Thread Starter

Will do - I was in kind of a hurry that day and all the other parts had arrived...had forgot about a psu and just grabbed the best one my local pc shop had at the time...seemed fine for what I was building.

Yeah I'll do a bit of research this time:)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!