1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Solved: Why use Netscape?

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by hamster, Jan 18, 2002.

Unmark Solved
Advertisement
  1. hamster

hamster Guest Thread Starter

I just don't understand it. I try using netsh*t but it's soooo frustrating!! I mean if you have a choice to use the Big E or Netsh*t why just choose netscrap.

I mean it times out alot, keeps on flashing and don't have lots of capabilities like Internet Exploxer.

And lots of Websites have problems when you use netscrap.

And for chatrooms it doesn't really recognize the html coding to use like colors or smileys.. etc on it...

and please don't diss me by saying "oh can you do better".... I'm just asking why use a inferior product when Internet Exploxer is much better..

what better options are benefits are there to netscrap??? besides the pretty colors?

2. hewee

hewee

Because I hate I.E. and all the holes in it.

Bill killed Netscape by giving away I.E. and making deals so new PC's would not have Netscape on them. The AOLHELL took over and Netscape lost all the good people. A good web sit will work with both Netscape and I.E.
    Trouble 99% of the time it is bad java code and that comes from the web site that make bad things happen.

Just read all the message that are posted and it's real easy to see that most of the trouble is with I.E. and Outlook.

3. hamster

hamster Guest Thread Starter

Internet Exploxer is my friend and I don't care if it's like swiss cheese. I like it alot, netscape is too iffy.

"Just read all the message that are posted and it's real easy to see that most of the trouble is with I.E. and Outlook."

No way... all those message posted are upstairs and upstairs scare me!! I rather stay down here in the playroom and be silly!!

4. deuce

deuce

Why use netscape?... but because you just don't. It's one of those things that you are born with knowing and don't need experience to know. :rolleyes: (sorry hewee... :()

5. Wino

Wino

I really, really, REALLY tried to like NS - but IE rules, security holes and all. Have removed all traces of NS from my three computers and 1 laptop (along with AOL).

Note to hewee -

You should have listened to Ben many moons ago!!!!

:D

Wino

6. Gibble

Gibble

If I am using windows, I use IE. If I am on linux :D I am forced to use Netscrap :(. As far as browsers go IE is much easier to develop for, and it's not because it forgives errors. They shouldn't be coded. It's because it supports alot of features better than NS. Tables being the first thing to pop into my head. NS dies on large tables and if you write applications for the web tables are your friend. Unless you have to code for NS.

7. littlemar

littlemar

I use IE at home and at work. When I did have netscape at home it was constantly going down and when you're in the middle of a search you want to scream "No, not again!!!"

8. Dark Star

Dark Star

I've always used IE...........From the very first day I looked at the Netscape Icon I knew it was trouble,
    I mean a searchlight really come on folks that should tell you it must be something shouldn't it? Hi I'm right here, bring your ships over here so they can crash......hehe

With IE at least you know what you have........although from 5.0 to the current 6.0, the code is all the same (except for patches, and mods)............. the basic browser technology has not changed at all.
    IE 6.0 is a little too XPee for my liking.........I like to have a little more control over things. :p

DS

9. jakoval

jakoval

Folks, I hate to be the one to break it to you, but you're all wrong. Why use Netscape or IE when there's Opera.
    With MDI, one-touch zoom, on the fly adjustments (block cookies, pop-ups etc) buit in search functions, lots of keyboard shortcuts and "mouse gestures", it just doesn't make sense to use any other browser. Versions available for Windows, Linux, BEOS, etc.

10. hewee

hewee

Wino,

I have I.E. on my PC and heve used it to see how it works and Netscaper is faster to use.

I forget what Ben said long ago.
    But hey he does have AOL.:eek:

Well really he has Cable and I guess AOL BYOA.

But like he said in "I Can See Clearly Now"
    First As a senior citizen, If you are a member of AARP you are entitled to a 10% discount on your AOL membership Fee.

I did not get the link for it copy over when I saved that page vut who cares.

But I had Earthlink for a couple months and I got 10% off for being a AAA car insurance member.
    But I droped them because they did not have as fast as a connect as I was getting.

Anyone here from Ben? I should email him to see what is up.

jakoval,

Not many people have Opera but I do hear it is good and fast. Maybe if we all tried it we would all use it too.

11. Wino

Wino

hewee,

IE or NS - different strokes for different folks, I guess. Always found it to be kinda clumsy to use.

Havent't tried Opera, but then not having any (boy, that's a strong word - read major) problems with IE.

Re AOL - I had it for 30 day trial couple of years ago, everytime I called to cancel, AOL gave me another free 30 days, after about six months of free AOL, finally told them to CANCEL as I thought it was cluttered crap - finally got rid of them.

AOL free for six months or so, was still overpriced IMHO!

Wino

12. Mulderator

Mulderator

Heewee, you must be the exception to the rule or visit unusual sited, because IE will work faster on most sites.

When I designed my web site, I had to make sure it was compatible with Netscape, which is a real pain. It does not support frame in frame, for example, or many of the other newer HTML code that IE supports. Try writing a comprehenisve HTML page, and I'll guarantee you, you'll prefer IE when your finished.

13. deuce

deuce

I haven't used Opera before so hopefully I can try it sometime to check it out... but until then, I haven't had any problems with IE ever so I'm content with it. Hewee... the same thing would go for you. I guess if you haven't had any problems with it, you don't need to change it.

14. hewee

hewee

Wino,

I have to say it has always been easy to use.
    Like I said I have used both. Look at how many people that have never used Netscape after M$ started out to kill them and not having it put on all the new PC's.

Then some of the java troubles with Netscape are all who's fault?
    If any of the trouble is M$ you think they would fix it or work with Netscape to try to get a fix?
    No way because they can't fix there own big troubles they always seam to have from one version to the next.

You want 5 years of AOL disks and CD's.
    I got a box full if them.
    :rolleyes:

Mulder,

Netscape has always been faster. I.E. is slow opening even.

Maybe it's my ISP. If you get a CD from them it is Netscape.

All sites should be made to work with both I.E. and Netscape.
    Remember how most site would say best view in... at the bottom of the page or better yet let you pick to see it with I.E or Netscape.
    Some site don't load right in Netscape and then I use I.E.
    Both I have used both at some site with java and have trouble with both. Why? bad java is what the trouble is so it does not matter how I get there.

deuce_mn,

No you can have trouble at times but you can have troubles with all the softwear on you PC and Windows is why?

15. deuce

deuce

Well, gee... NetScrap maybe? NS should make their own fixes... Microsoft shouldn't have to do it for them.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65339

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice