1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Wide Screen LCD vs. standard (19") help

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by n1ml, Nov 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. n1ml

n1ml Thread Starter

I have a typical 19" LCD monitor and a nvidia GeForce4 MX4000 video card. I would like to upgrade to a 22" Wide Screen LCD. I noticed that the max pixels on my present card is 1280x1024. I think the new LCD is 1680x1950. I am using Windows 2000 pro and the motherboard is a 2.4 Ghz. Do I need to get a new video card to support the new monitor? I use the computer for general stuff, day to day, like word processing, excel, and net surfing, nothing exotic or fast.
    Thanks

2. hgibbs8129

hgibbs8129

dont bother if your not using it for movies or serious gaming!

3. The Hound

The Hound

The monitor will probably ship with a driver that will enable some non-standard screen resolutions. You shouldn't have any problems...

4. n1ml

n1ml Thread Starter

After getting a new 52" LCD HDTV, I would also like a larger computer monitor. Is there something else I should look at?

5. The Hound

The Hound

If you're looking at a 52 inch monitor, I'd be looking for a new wireless keyboard and mouse...

and a new recliner...:D

Actually, I'd wander down to the local big-box electronics store and look at as many as possible. Ask questions. Fit your decor. For everyday use, you can probably let your budget be your guide, and be pretty happy with the results.

6. n1ml

n1ml Thread Starter

I was hoping to just get a bigger monitor for the computer and I saw the wide screen types. I got confused about the pixels, in that my video card did not have a setting for the wide screen pixel size. Maybe I should go with the 22" 16:9 format. BTW, is my 2.4 Ghz. outdated?

7. Guyzer

Guyzer

First Name:
    Guy
    This is the one I bought myself a while back and I love it. Would never consider smaller now. Anyone that suggests you should be a gamer etc. to switch to this type of monitor doesn't know what he / she is talking about. The driver ships with it so no worries there. Mine is set at 1680 x 1050..... :D
    http://www.samsung.com/ca/products/monitor/lcd_widescreen/ls22mewsfvxaa.asp

8. The Hound

The Hound

Your video card/display properties probably only offers screen resolutions that your monitor will support--if you have a 4:3 monitor installed, then you won't be offered any of the 16:9 resolutions.

9. n1ml

n1ml Thread Starter

That appear to make it clear. I'll start shopping today. Thanks to all of those that responded and cleared up the resolution option problem.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/654860

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice