1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Wierd folders which i cannot access

Discussion in 'General Security' started by Jemper, Dec 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jemper

Jemper Thread Starter

Dec 29, 2010
    After installing Battlefield heroes and punkbuster, I was searching through my files and found that I had new folders like: SendTo. I never had such a folder in my C:/users/Chris and the wierd thing is that if i try to open it this pops up!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

(Click on the pic it will send you to imageshack then click on the pic again in imageshack and it should zoom you in)

also I have 2 new ini files called "desktop", the one file from my desktop contains a text "
    IconResource=%SystemRoot%\system32\imageres.dll,-183" and other one says a looong text I'll just give you 6 lines
    eMachines Registration.lnk=@C:\Program Files (x86)\eMachines\Registration\GlobalRegistrationMUI.dll,-102
    Enregistrement eMachines.lnk=@C:\Program Files (x86)\eMachines\Registration\GlobalRegistrationMUI.dll,-102
    Registrazione eMachines.lnk=@C:\Program Files (x86)\eMachines\Registration\GlobalRegistrationMUI.dll,-102"
    There are 2 ini files on my desktop, 1 ini file in each folder in my documents and probably more. They are all called desktop!

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium on a laptop.

I am asking you, should I be concerned about these folders and files?
  2. Ent

Ent Josiah Trusted Advisor

Apr 11, 2009
    Those files and folders are hidden system files, files which are needed by Windows for various tasks and are normally marked as hidden from user view to protect them. Most are also configured so that the user can't access them, as evidenced by your error message.
    They have always been there and should not be removed.

The reason that you are suddenly seeing the files is that something (possibly one of the installs) has configured the computer to show hidden and system files. Take a look at this TSG library article for an explanation of what file attributes like hidden and system are.

To stop them from appearing follow these steps.

• Open any folder.
    • Press ALT and go to the tools menu
    • Open Folder Options
    • Go to the View Tab
    • Check "Do not Show Hidden Files and Folders"
    • Check "Hide Protected Operating System Files"
    • Click OK.
  3. Jemper

Jemper Thread Starter

Dec 29, 2010
    Thank you that solved it :)
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971345