1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Wierd Internet Connection Problem XP64

Discussion in 'Networking' started by angelicapickles, Nov 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. angelicapickles

angelicapickles Thread Starter

I have a wierd problem thats taken days to try and sort out. This is real long story and abit of a mind bender so only read on if you have time.:eek:

It started Friday, i updated my Iobit Adavanced System care to v5 and ran it and for some reason it trashed my internet connection?? :confused:

I reinstalled Internet Explorer 7 (I dont use 8 too unstable on my machine) I also reset the internet options to default, i then found that i had two internet explorers in both the 64/32 bit folders ...program files/internet explorer and ...program files (x86)/internet explorer, this is normal i know.

The .exe that i used, and the one linked to my desktop shortcut, is the one in the X86 folder, but now that does not work at all, Internet Cannot Display etc, also i cannot access my router through the (x86) one, but I found that the iexplorer.exe in the normal ''program files/internet explorer'' folder works fine...so then i thought problem solved!!:D......Wrong!! :(:(

Now i cannot access any game servers, and my software and antivirus updates cannot connect to there servers???:mad: I also had to reinstall flashplayer for youtube to videos to work, although it was already installed??

its as if i have two seperate connections, one that im using now but everything else tries the old conncetion that Advanced System Care managed to screw up?

Windows updates still work fine?? and i can access the internet only through the program files/internet explorer/iexplorer.exe.

this is really confusing me, and im quite savvy with pc's but this is puzzling??:(:( Although im no expert at networking.

I dont want to reinstall windows, my windows XP 64 CD is scracthed almost beyond use, one of my DVD players screwed it up bad. That will be a last resort.

Ive checked my router status and one thing that seems wierd is that theres 2 domain name servers i.p's
    .21 and .20 ???:

Netgear DG834

Domain Name Server

So anyway, What ive done so far:

Reinstalled internet explorer 7 (several times)
    Reset Internet Options to default.
    Turned on all services (relating to network and internet)
    Turned off Firewall.
    Used Iobit Advanced system care backup, but it didnt restore anything.
    (System restore is disabled - so this is unfortunately not an option either)
    I also tried copying over the non-working iexplore.exe with the working one, it worked but still the same problems.

Now I need help and suggestions.

Question: If i do have a second i.p or connection, how can i remove it? can i do it using ipconfig in cmd?

Thx for reading.

Angelica Pickles.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Angelica:

You need to stop using IObit Advanced SystemCare 5 and any other cleaner/booster/optimizer/tuneup/tweak type program.

They do little-to-nothing to improve speed and fix problems, but what they can do is damage Windows and break programs.

I've seen enough computers in these forums that were trashed by using them.

Have you tried restoring to a date PRIOR to when you installed and ran IObit?

Have you tried reinstalling the driver for your network connection?

---------------------------------------------------------

3. angelicapickles

thx 4 reply flavalee.

I have already uninstalled advanced system care, and ur right they dont do much to help, but unfortunately i had system restore disabled, i usually dont run many services i only fire them up when i use them.

as for the network driver, i dont suspect its that but its worth a shot, but could you be a bit more specific on what network device driver im looking for? i mean on the device manager i have the 1394 driver, my dlink wireless driver and ethernet which i disabled as i only enable it whenever i use the cable (i hate the little red cross connection that pops up at the bottom, so i disabled ethernet)

but as i said i suspect its more of a sort of 'double' i.p or connection??

its like my games, updates & antivirus are trying to use a 'default' connection thats not there anymore or blocked?

ap

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Go to Start - Run - SERVICES.MSC - OK.

Which services do you have "Startup Type" set on Disabled?

There are very few of them that should be disabled. Most of them can be set on Manual.

------------------------------------------------------

What are the exact names listed in Network Adapters in the Device Manager?

------------------------------------------------------

5. angelicapickles

I did start all of them and set them all to 'automatic' as an attempt to resolve the issue but no luck.

The only ones disabled now are alerter, clipbook,messenger,indexing service, perf. logs and alerts, portable media serial service, smart card, and any remote access services.

even if it was due to a service(s) being disabled how come i can access the internet using the iexplorer.exe in:

C:\Program Files\internet explorer\iexplorer.exe

but NOT:

C:\Program Files (x86)\internet explorer\iexplorer.exe

this is the puzzling thing?

thx. ap.

edit:
    3 network adapters are:
    1394 Net adapter
    D-Link AirPlus G DWL-G510 Wireless PCI Adpater(rev.c) #2
    Nvidia nForce 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet (Disabled)

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I've never used the 64-bit version of Windows XP, so I can't answer that question.

You might consider clicking "Report" and then requesting your thread be moved to the NETWORKING section.

-------------------------------------------------------

7. angelicapickles

ok will do.

thx for advice anyway. ;-)

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Here is the support site for that desktop PCI wireless adapter.

Driver version 2.1.2.0, dated 04/03/2009, for Windows XP(64-bit) is third down the list.

It's in .ZIP format and doesn't have an executable install file, so it looks like you'll need to download and save it in an empty folder on your desktop, then update the driver via its Device Manager entry.

----------------------------------------------------------

9. angelicapickles

ok downloadin driver and installing it now.

my driver is 1.2.5.0! so def needs update!

...i still doubt this will work...i got that feeling!! lol ;-) but still the driver clearly needs updating anyway. I will report back with the result.

10. angelicapickles

ok, i unistalled my wireless and reinstalled using new driver...which turned out to be the one already had! so im already upto date there.

Still no change im afraid. althought in the C:\Program Files (x86)\internet explorer version of I.E thats not working i have this 'iedw' crash detection file, ill attach it and see if any of you can make anything of it.

ap.

Attached Files:

11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    The crash detection file means nothing to me.

Let's see if one of the experts here in the NETWORKING section can assist you.

--------------------------------------------------------

Support for that PCI wireless card was dropped over 4 years ago in the United States, so maybe it's time for you to replace it with a more current model.

I'm strictly a wired desktop user, so my knowledgeable of wireless connections is pretty limited.

12. angelicapickles

thats ok, any suggestions help right now.

your right about the card, could do with replacing it, but still this it seems is not the problem, its very odd, its like i have two 'connections' and the default one i used to use is no longer working.

also going back to the wireless device in d.manager its has a #2 at the end?? is this normal.

: D-Link AirPlus G DWL-G510 Wireless PCI Adpater(rev.C) #2

Even after i reinstalled the driver that #2 was there...is that just part of the device description you think? or does that mean a '2nd' device??

ap.

13. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    The #2 is nothing abnormal.

Can you re-enable your wired connection so you have an active connection, or is wired service not available?

-------------------------------------------------------

14. angelicapickles

Yep that was the first thing i done when it screwed up on friday, I re-enable ethernet and used the cable to connect, but again no luck. I only disable ethernet to get rid of the 'no cable connected' box in the notification area.

p.s also where is this 'techguy system info' utility. I want to place my pc details in the first post and my account profile details. thx.

15. angelicapickles

***SOLVED***

I have now solved this problem.

This solution may also be helpful for people having similar a problem connecting to servers, game servers or updates etc but yet seem to have a fine internet connection. If so try this, its perfectly harmless and will do no damage or harm. This fixed it for me:

Select Start & Run

When the Run Box appears type: netsh int ip reset

Then click on OK or press Enter.

Then select Start & Run again.

When the Run Box appears, this time type: netsh winsock reset

Press Enter or hit OK

Then Restart computer.

Problem solved.

Also special thx for flavallee who helped with suggestions early on. cheers m8.

Angelica P Out.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!