Solved: wifi adapter

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

chewie1012

Can I put a wife adapter in a lenovo thinkpad that is not same make and model that came with the computer?
The lenovo is a sl510
Thank You,
Jerry

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Has the original internal wi-fi adapter gone bad?

If it has, the quickest and easiest option is to replace it with an external USB wi-fi adapter.

--------------------------------------------------------

Pages 74 - 75 of the hardware maintenance manual shows you how to replace the internal wi-fi adapter.

--------------------------------------------------------

chewie1012

The original adapter has gone bad and we are using a usb adapter right now. I would like to replace the internal adapter and wonder if any will work. There are only two wires to attach it. I wonder if any will work as long as I have the drivers for it.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I really don't know if a different brand/model can be used.

Someone who's knowledgeable in that area will need to advise you.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Triple6

Rob
Lenovo does sometimes lock their systems to use only approved Lenovo wireless cards, and I believe this system is no exception.

You have three options:
1) Buy a compatible Lenovo wireless card
2) Buy a USB wireless card
3) Flash a custom BIOS with the whitelist removed and use any physically compatible wireless adapter that you want.

chewie1012

HI Rob,
thank you for your answer. I will call lenovo and see what card they require.

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Be quicker to open it up and have a look.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online