1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: WiFi cannot list the networks available

Discussion in 'Networking' started by SysEngineer, Dec 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SysEngineer

SysEngineer Thread Starter

Hi anyone there.
    I am new to this forum. I don't know whether there is any formal way of asking the queries or any such formalities. If so do inform me.

I am facing a problem since today as my WiFi is turned on, but i cannot view the list of networks that is available in my workplace. When i asked my colleague whether he could view the list in his laptop, he was able to. And also when i checked through my smart phone i was able to view a list of wireless networks. So it means there is some error in my laptop. I realised this when i tried creating a AD-HOC connection which eventually resulted in 'Windows cannot set up NETWORK NAME'. Can anyone help me out sort this problem. Why is it that i am not able to view the list of wireless network? And why can't i establish a AD-HOC connection??

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You did the correct action. :) Welcome.

I assume you are trying to use an integrated adapter.

Are you sure it is switched on? You toggle it off and back on and get confirmation that it is on?

Make sure you have the latest driver from the laptop manufacturer's web site. If you have the correct one reinstall it anyhow in case the installed instance is corrupt.

What firewall or security suite is, or ever was, on the system? Some, if mis-configured or corrupted, can actually make wireless networks "invisible."

If you can easily access the adapter through a cover on the laptop's bottom remove and carefully and firmly replace it to clean any possible corrosion on the contacts. Make sure the antenna leads are secure.

3. SysEngineer

SysEngineer Thread Starter

Thank you.

I got it fixed. I tried troubleshooting it, and the wireless capability was detected as 'off'. So i restart it again and tried switching it 'on'. Finally it worked. Thank you for the valuable reply.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

You can mark this solved using the [​IMG] button at the upper left of the page or just below the last post.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082074

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice