1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Wifi connected, still no programms connect to internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by uloveonce, Aug 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. uloveonce

uloveonce Thread Starter

hello,

I am newbie in such things. My internet was working over wifi (router Netgear 150), but suddenly it stopped working. Wifi is working as my smart phone and other laptop is working properly on it.

However My Sony Vaio though connected to wifi, apps like IDM, IE, google chrom nor firefox connets to internet. I remember that I has installed youtube downloader and uninstalled it quickly. It downloaded some additional apps like shopping pro, g-force and I uninstalled that too. but none of my app connescts to internet.

Please help. I checked for proxies, but it is connected directly and disabled firewall as well. but still it is not working.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    try doing a restore to a date before you downloaded youtube installer

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Restore PC to an Earlier Date & Time

Go Start>>All Programs>>Accessories>>System Tools>>System Restore

• Click in the radio button Choose a different restore point
    • Click Next
    • put a tick in Show more restore points
    • Pick a Date before this happened
    • Click Next
    This should restore the PC to that time & date

you may need to use safemode to do the restore. As the PC starts keep tapping F8 - a menu will appear - choose safemode

windows 8
    http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/3443387/how-use-system-restore-in-windows-8/

windows 7
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/700-system-restore.html

windows vista
    http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/76905-system-restore-how.html

Windows XP
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows/using-system-restore-in-xp/

3. uloveonce

uloveonce Thread Starter

ok. I will try but just to add, IDM says "cannot find internet socket". So now is there any fast fix for my system or System restore is the final. How much time will it take for a restore?

4. uloveonce

uloveonce Thread Starter

I checked for a restore point, but there is none and I checked for effected drivers but that did not yeild anything aswell.

Please help

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    What firewall / security suite or anti-virus do you currently have on the PC - or you have ever had on the PC in the past - any trial ware - like Norton, kaspersky or Mcafee or any free security suites like zonealarm, AVG , Webroot etc

- try safemode with networking (sometimes wireless does not work with safemode )

For other windows version, XP,Vista, W7 as the PC starts keep tapping F8 - a menu appears - choose
    safemode with networking - see if that works

moving to networking forum, as you are in the W7 forum, I assume the PC does have Windows 7 ?

6. uloveonce

uloveonce Thread Starter

I have bit defender and IObit malware. I remember that I had downloaded the youtube downloader but since it downloaded additoinal app, I reomved all the apps and downlaoder as well with IObit uninstaller.

I tried doing in safemode, but it is still not working. I tried using Lan directly but it wont work.

It is pinging when I tried, but just the none of my apps seems to reach internet, Firefox, IE11, even chorme does not work. IDM does not wrk as well.
    IDM said it is not able to find internet sockets. Will that help to resolve the issue? Internet sockets?

7. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista/Windows 7/Windows 8

For Windows Vista/Windows 7/8
    Start> Programs> Accessories> and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt box (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on the screen ):​

For Windows 8
    To open a Cmd Prompt or an Administrator Cmd prompt from the Desktop. Use Win + X and choose Command Prompt or Command Prompt (Admin) from the list.​

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following commands:

Note: Type only the text in bold and red for the following commands.

• Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog and press enter
    • Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log and press enter
    • Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log and press enter
    ReStart (reboot) the machine.

If you receive the message
    The requested operation requires elevation.
    Then please open the command prompt as administrator - as requested above
    Start> Programs> Accessories> and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt box (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):
    Please note and post back - if you receive the following message :-
    Access is Denied
    This often occurs with windows 8

please post back the results in a reply here - its important we know that these commands have worked correctly and not produced any errors
    right click in the command prompt box
    select all
    enter
    control key + C key - to copy
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

Details also here
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357
    also the link has a Microsoft Fix it , which will do the above for you

8. uloveonce

uloveonce Thread Starter

thanks

The Winsock reset worked. I have Win 7 so tried winsock command and rebooted. It worked smoothly. Is there something else I need to do before I marked this topic as closed. I tried to search all the internet but the fix was something that I had remember I used few years back.

thanks very much

9. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    no that should be it all

10. uloveonce

uloveonce Thread Starter

Thanks and appreciate.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1131682

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice