1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Wifi connection issues with only one device

Discussion in 'Networking' started by LonovoThinkpad, Jan 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LonovoThinkpad

LonovoThinkpad Thread Starter

Greetings!

I've been googling the crap out of how to resolve my wifi connectivity issue and so far nothing has worked. I have truely tried to self-service here and I am just not being successful, so I figured, welp! Time to consult the experts!! Would appreciate your insights!

Here are the computer specs:
    Lenovo Thinkpad T530
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3320M CPU @ 2.60GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 3792 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000, 1704 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 122001 MB, Free - 32053 MB;
    Motherboard: LENOVO, 2392AQU
    Antivirus: AVG AntiVirus Free Edition 2015, Updated and Enabled

Summary of Issue:
    Essentially, wifi disconnects frequently/intermittently, but only on my lenovo thinkpad. It is often enough that I have a huge ethernet cable that I drag through my house (obviously NOT something a laptop user should need to do!) My husband's laptop (different brand) connects wirelessly and seamlessly--no issues. His laptop, as well as my ipad, my Google Nexus 4 phone, my Kindle Fire and my work laptop....all of these have no issues....at least one of the other laptops is running on Windows 7 64 bit as well.

This is a new laptop and I have had the issues from the get-go. Here are the things I have already tried:
    - Unplug router/cables/etc, wait over 10 minutes and then one by one, add power, then cable, ethernet, phone line back in
    - "Reset" to restart gateway on xfinity admin internet page
    - "Reset wifi router" to restart WiFi and Router modules on xfinity admin internet page
    - "Restore Factory Settings" to activate your Gateway Default Settings." on xfinity internet page
    - Looked up wireless adapter (Intel Centrino Advanced N 6205)- used Intel Driver Update utility to look up and update driver
    - Then I did all this: 1. uninstall intel proset wireless software

2. uninstall wireless adapter and 2 virtual wifi miniport adapters in windows Device Manager
    3. reboot
    4. Ran the following command using an elevated command promptt: netsh int ip reset
    5. Ran the following command using an elevated command prompt: netsh winsock reset
    6. Ran the following command using an elevated command prompt: netsh winsock reset all

7. reboot
    8. Re-installed intel proset wireless software
    9. reran driver utility and downloaded update

- Downloaded Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector and ran (I attached a screen shot)

- Tried letting computer "fix itself" --one error I get frequently is "the default gateway is not available." Sometimes the computer is able to "fix" this and sometimes not. As I see more errors, I will write them down so I can share them.

Anyways, I'm pretty good at following step by step instructions, so if anyone has any bright ideas, I would be so grateful! As you can see, I have tried a myriad of things to no avail.

Would love your insights!

Attached Files:

2. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

Are you using the same exact SSID name for 2.4GHz and 5GHz band?

Lenovo typically has a trail period for Norton security software, did you uninstall it and also use Norton's removal tool?

3. LonovoThinkpad

I don't know the answer to the SSID question... could you ask it in another way or is there a way to look that up somehow on my computer? I can tell you that I purchased a Range Extender/Router that I use the "Range Extender" function - and it is called the same think as my main router (Santa122015) because I was told to do that so that I don't have to constantly go in and update which wifi to use. This doesn't appear to cause any issues for any devices though...

Re: Norton- Yes, I uninstalled it by going into Control Panel, clicked on it and chose uninstall all components. I didn't use anything called "Norton's removal tool." Should I have? (I chose to uninstall it because I prefer the free AVG software--after uninstalling Norton, I installed AVG)

Thanks for the initial questions and please let me know if you have any ideas!

4. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

Attached Files:

5. LonovoThinkpad

I ran the Norton's removal tool and restarted laptop to see if that fixed it, but no dice. Attached is the screen shot of xirrus and the issue my computer reported just a few minutes ago.

Thank you!

Attached Files:

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You've only shown a few of the many detected networks, but what you've shown is enough to say that the worst possible channel to use is 1. :( Try channel 11 or 6.

Being in a location where your router's and Repeater's signals are both so strong may give you interference problems.

Try the wireless driver from Lenovo's web site to see if it works better than the one that (I think) you have directly from Intel.

7. LonovoThinkpad

Since you had several suggestions/questions, I wanted to do them one at a time. First, I disconnected the range extender to take that out of the equation. I've still noticed the internet intermittently not working as I have been looking up the downloads on the Lenovo website. But, I did also want to post the new Xirrus screenshot expanded to show everything. Also, in case it matters, when I took the screenshot, the wifi was working.

Can you take a look and tell me if you still recommend switching from 1 to 6 or 11?

Also, on the Lenovo website, there were two categories to choose from: Networking: Wireless LAN or Wireless WAN- Do I need to download files for both categories (LAN and WAN)? I have attached screen shots of my options...I'm not sure which file to choose- can you advise?

Thank you!

Attached Files:

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Excellent technique! (y) :)

Yes, because that second listed network is showing a strong signal. However, in other locations that you may use a wireless device different neighbors' networks may be stronger, so you may want to take a look at Xirrus other places before deciding on what channel(s) to try. Something "in-between" such as 4 or 9 may be better overall.

You have the Intel Centrino Advanced N 6205 adapter so you want to try the first driver on the LAN (Local Area Network) page. The drivers on the WAN (Wide Area Network) page are for Mobile Wireless (e.g., what you get on a smart phone for "cellular" data) modems.

9. LonovoThinkpad

This is very interesting to me. First I wanted to say that it seems to me that the internet was working more often than not after disconnecting the Range Extender. That could have very well been at the root of the issue!

But since I did notice it seem to still intermittently lose signal, I proceeded with changing the channel: I went into Gateway--> Connection --> Wifi, clicked to edit the private wifi network and made the following changes:
    1. Under "Channel Selection" - I switched it from "Automatic" to "Manual"
    2. Changed the Channel from 1 to 6

For good measure after seeing your post, I downloaded the suggested driver. I do remember that there was a pop up warning saying something to the effect of "you don't have a WiMax adapter." So I (maybe stupidly) figured, might as well download it, but seems like it is not going to do anything....

Although I haven't been glued to my computer, the wifi internet connection appears to have been working consistently. Since these recent changes. I'm going to try and work on it consistently for the next few hours and see if it continues without issue, but sometimes my kids have other plans for me, lol!

Thanks everyone for the advice and guidance! I will check back in later today if all is well to officially mark as resolved or sooner if not :) You have been so helpful!!

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I goofed. Took me looking back and forth half a dozen times before spotting it. You have a 6205 adapter. I misread and told you to download the 6250 driver. :( Maybe your driver is the second one on that page. Try it only if you continue to have problems.

11. LonovoThinkpad

Each time I have come to my laptop and tested it by going to google, gmail and downloading a pdf, it has worked without fail (except for one time and it worked after reloading once)--this is really seeming to be working as I would hope- fingers crossed!

I did want to ask one thing as I would like to build my networking understanding and knowledge...was having the Range Extender on causing me to be on two different bands?? I noticed thAT Coolburn asked, "Are you using the same exact SSID name for 2.4GHz and 5GHz band?" Honestly, that was a foreign language to me. Do I want to be on both bands? Is it good to be on both? bad? If you have time, I would like understanding that better.

Thank you! I will still plan to check in later and officially mark as closed if no issues arise!

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I'll mostly save the band question for CoolBurn, as he surely has better understanding of that than I do.

Your adapter is dual-band, which means capable of using the 2.4 GHz band (channels 1-13 in North America) or of using the 5 GHz band. If your router is also dual band you may want to try using 5 GHz, as there will be less interference from other networks. I think CoolBurn has found cases where people have had trouble when using a dual band router with both networks having the same SSID.

13. LonovoThinkpad

Got it- well thank you for all the assistance. There was only one time where internet wasn't working and I rebooted computer and it solved the issue, so I am going to say it is resolved!!!

I really appreciate all your help!!!

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1140464

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice