1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: WiFi extender at the PC/laptop?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Larkru, Sep 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Larkru

Larkru Thread Starter

First Name:
    Larry
    Good morning.

My company provides free WiFi access with minimum security (WEP) for phones, laptops, etc. It has worked well for a couple of years. IT has made some hardware changes/moves which has put my office outside the wireless access point parameters in the building. I have tried connecting with both a Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 laptop, both of which have a/b/g/n (for sure, n) wireless adapter cards.

Question: Is there any hardware or software configuration to extend the signal of my laptop's wireless adapter in order to connect or is that option only available with wifi extenders on the wireless network itself?

Thanks in advance. Larry.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What does that mean? Weak signal or no signal or something else?

An antenna with higher gain is a possibility if the problem is a weak signal. Since there is probably no reasonable way to connect another antenna to an integrated adapter you would want a USB wireless adapter.

Of course, this would not help if the problem is that the signal is completely obstructed.

3. onsite

onsite

I find it hard to believe a company is using WEP encryption. Is it perhaps they have changed their encryption to WPA and that is why you can not connect.? Can you see the wireless signal from your company.?or has the signal disappeared. Go to someone else in the office and see what their settings are or call your companies tech support.

4. Larkru

Larkru Thread Starter

First Name:
    Larry
    It is now a very weak signal that is no longer usable. Today, an IT guy told me that with reconfiguration of departments, they may have moved the access points to out of range for my office or they changed the password. They didn't change the password or I would get no signal at all for any length of time. I don't know if the signal is just out of reach because of the properties of my laptop's internal wireless adapter or because of some obstruction between my office and the access point. From what you said about gain on the antenna and if there was no obstruction, should I assume that a USB wireless adapter would provide a better signal? I don't know about this stuff.

I should have clarified earlier that the wireless network is for personal Internet access only. It is WEP because they are not too concerned about anyone's security if they are browsing at work. I would not be able to connect to the corporate network wirelessly, except perhaps to the Exchange server if I went in with my username and password over the Internet connection.

Thanks to both of you for your comments.
    Larry

5. onsite

onsite

the company provides a wireless network for employees to use to goof off ? you can only use the company network for e-mail something with what you are saying my friend does not add up

6. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

My employer provides separate wireless networks for employees, nothing new.

Like Terry stated a USB wireless adapter with a high gain antenna should provide better range/coverage than an integrated adapter. Just depends on how weak of signal we are talking about here.

Example:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704045

7. Larkru

Larkru Thread Starter

First Name:
    Larry
    Onsite...sorry I am not being clear.

Terry and CoolBurn...thanks for suggestions and education. I've ordered the product from New Egg and will give it a shot. I appreciate your time.

Larry

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    And, the location of the antenna can make a major difference. There may be a big obstacle (e.g., a metal filing cabinet) between the WAP and one place in your office, but a clear path between WAP and another place.

9. Larkru

Larkru Thread Starter

First Name:
    Larry
    Thanks, Terry. I will keep that in mind.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. Let us know how the adapter works for you.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1133845

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice