1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: WIFI Hotspot using a netbook

Discussion in 'Networking' started by vales1, Jan 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vales1

vales1 Thread Starter

Hello, I'm stationed in a military base in Iraq and although most bases have wifi, our ISP here doesn't support it. Our internet connection comes out of a lan drop in our room and we have to log into US Comz to access the internet.I have an ethernet switch box that myself and my room mate use to log in to US Comz separately. We wanted to add wireless functionality so I bought a router which turns out to be not supported by US Comz. I then used my old netbook (samsung n20) w/ windows XP and setup an adhoc network. The client laptop operates on Windows 7. At first, I was able to log on manually to the host laptop and was able to connect to US Comz problem. However, when i logged out I couldn't log back in. There's still a connection between host and client but when I open a browser, there's no internet.

I deleted the adhoc network from both host and client, rebooted and set it up again on both, - internet works again, I log out and again although i'm connected to the host, the browser shows up blank. Could someone please help? Is there a step I'm missing. Thank you all in advance

2. vales1

vales1 Thread Starter

Please help

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You couldn't log back into the laptop? And you still can't? I don't know what would cause this.

You log out of the host?

4. vales1

vales1 Thread Starter

sorry sir, i'm using confusing terms, not much of a techie, Let me rephrase

I can connect in and out of the wireless network just fine sir. However, when i disconnect and then connect into the network and click a browser, there's no internet access.
    When i deleted the wireless network on both the host and client laptops, rebooted, and configured an adhoc network again, the moment the client connects to the new network for the first time, there's internet access (ISP's log in page) .
    Now I can still log in and out of the ISP. The problem comes in when I disconnect the client laptop. When I connect to the host for a second time, it connects just fine but for some reason when i open the browser on the client laptop, there's no internet access "webpage unavailable".

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Wow, I think I totally misread and misunderstood your initial post. :eek:

The host laptop continues to run and maintains its internet access. Initially the client laptop works fine, but after disconnecting from the ad-hoc wireless and then reconnecting to it the client does not have internet access and doesn't get the ISP's invitation to connect. Did I understand this time?

If I'm still confused you should probably ignore the following, 'cause for the moment I'm assuming that the above is correct.

You must be bridging the connections in the host. That is usually the best way to go, but since there are difficulties you might try unbridging the connections and instead enable ICS on the (LAN) connection that has internet access. This won't work if the ISP is assigning you 192.168.0.x IP addresses or is blocking ICS, but it makes your host act as a router and will avoid the need for the clients to log in to the ISP.

6. vales1

vales1 Thread Starter

That's correct sir.

I did not bridge any connections though, or there's nothing i see that indicates that in network connections which is only showing a wireless and a local area connection. The only thing I did to the local area connection was right click-properties and check marked the "allow other network users to connect through this computer's internet connection" box, and unchecked the box underneath.

As far as enabling ICS, i'd have to google it and see how I can do it. If it isn't that complicated, can you please give me instructions on how to do it?

7. Drabdr

Drabdr Moderator

First Name:
    Brad
    Hello, Vales1!

Did you click on the link TerryNet provided in Post #5 ( the post right before your last one)? That takes you to a Microsoft Support page that should guide you through the process. In case you have difficulty seeing the link above, here it is:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306126

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That is ICS. :)

The client shouldn't even know anything about your ISP, so I don't know what's happening.

Please show for both PCs when you have internet access on the client and then for when you do not ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

9. vales1

vales1 Thread Starter

Here's the one for the host laptop currently connected to the internet

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Arnold V>ipcofig/all
    'ipcofig' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.

C:\Documents and Settings\Arnold V>IPCONFIG/ALL

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : BAHAYKUBO
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Generic Marvell Yukon 88E8040 PCI-E
    Fast Ethernet Controller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-13-77-AF-A8-35
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 172.21.18.168
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 172.21.1.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 172.21.1.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 172.21.1.1
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, January 08, 2011 8:21:30 P
    M
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, January 09, 2011 8:21:30 PM

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Ad
    apter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-21-63-A5-5A-33

and here's the one for the client laptop, connected to network, no internet

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Spidermonkey>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Valbook
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mixed
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-23-14-2C-44-61
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6200 AGN
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-23-14-2C-44-60
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::71bf:1434:5e26:a22a%12(Preferred)
    Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.162.42(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
    DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 301998868
    DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-13-6E-6D-DF-00-1D-BA-C0-8B-51

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
    fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
    fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82577LC Gigabit Network Connecti
    on
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1D-BA-C0-8B-51
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter isatap.{94676C4C-672C-459A-8B68-E5D26B88C76C}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0

Tunnel adapter isatap.{40599B2A-973E-4B15-812C-D9491AA30525}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Tunnel adapter isatap.{46C0F332-C448-430D-B84D-4FC4FEF99F71}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #4

10. vales1

vales1 Thread Starter

I will now delete the adhoc network, create a new one, and see if I can access the internet from the client laptop

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The host's wireless was not connected in that output. I've seen a lot of problems the last couple months with the Atheros A5007EG adapter, but this is the first I've encountered it in an ad-hoc network. If you are using encryption try with no encryption to see if that makes a difference.

12. vales1

vales1 Thread Starter

Correct me if I'm wrong sir, but if it's just the host's wireless adapter that's causing problems, then If I switch the host and client laptops then it should be good to go?

As for encryption, do you mean leaving the security open and not putting a password on the host laptop?

I couldn't duplicate what I did the other day, turned out last night we lost internet connection again, hopefully we get it back by the time I get off work today.

13. vales1

vales1 Thread Starter

btw sir, based on what you see from my ip, would it be easier or better to just get a WAP since i'm looking for a more permanent solution anyway? I haven't installed one so I'm not sure how complicated it's gonna be but I've seen a linksys wap54g in amazon for less than 50 bucks.

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    A wireless access point should work as well as (or in addition to) the switch you are using.

If you still have that router you bought you can use it. Some (e.g., Belkin) have an "AP mode" that makes it operate as a switch and wireless access point. You can use any router that way with the following configuration. You are getting a public IP address so ignore the part below about changing the router's LAN IP address. Just leave it as is; the only problem with that is that you will not be able to access its configuration pages as easily, so configure the wireless part before you disable the Dhcp server.

JohnWill's procedure (Aug. 30, 2008) for configuring a secondary router as a switch and, optionally, wireless access point follows.

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together.

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. [You will not need a cross-over cable if one of the "routers" is a computer.] Leave the WAN port unconnected!

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

For reference, here's a link to a Typical example config using a Netgear router

15. vales1

vales1 Thread Starter

One major problem with the router I bought is that it needs internet connection as part of setup and it's the only one i've encountered like that. It's the newer Cisco Valet Plus - the one that started my quest for an AP solution bec. it doesn't work with our ISP, ... automatically anyway.

It will complete the setup process and since it cannot connect to the internet it brings up the option for advanced settings through 192.168.1.1 - i don't know which settings to change

UPDATE: I just got off chat with CISCO customer support and they said "it doesn't work as an access point, in order for the Valet Plus to work it should be wired to a modem. "

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973352

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice