Solved: WIFI Hotspot using a netbook

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

TerryNet

Terry
Don't know about that particular router, but in general you should be able to reset it to factory default settings, avoid all "wizards" or "easy setup programs" and just login to it and make the above changes. Consult the user manual for details.

vales1

i'm sorry sir, but you lost me with your set of instructions. So I ignore the part where I have to configure the ip address, disable the dhcp server, set up ssid, passwords, etc, something about cross overs, and leave the WAN unconnected?

Would you happen to have a "for dummies" version of this?

vales1

I'm able to get to the advance settings (192.168.1.1) page, first problem is i have to go through the "easy setup programs" to retrieve the routers "unique" password only after it has failed installation. If I reset the router, it gives out a different password everytime. Secondly, i'm clueless as to what to change when i do get to the advance settings page.

TerryNet

Terry
Assuming you can figure out how to login to that annoying router I'll re-write JohnWill's procedure for your specific case. I will assume that the router has auto-sensing ports.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it were the primary router or a mere wireless access point (channels, encryption, etc.).

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Connect from the internet access (or your switch) to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch and wireless access point.

vales1

Well sir, i reset the router and after confirming i have a good internet connection, I unplugged my laptop, and hooked it up to the WAN port of the router and my laptop hardwired to one of the router's ethernet ports. I still couldn't log in to my ISP of course but this enabled the laptop to log into the advanced settings page. I then input the ipv4 address, disabled the DHCP server, saved everything, and then hooked the internet access to one of the LAN ports. It works great now!

thank you for your patience sir, your help is greatly appreciated! PROBLEM SOLVED

TerryNet

Terry
Super! So glad I could help you. And, you are welcome. :)

You can mark this solved using the
button at the upper left of the page.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online