1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Wifi PCIe Adapter not recognized

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by iambeam, Jan 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. iambeam

iambeam Thread Starter

This is my second build. Everything went perfectly, but the PCIe Wifi card arrived a day late. I can't seem to install it. The computer doesn't seem to recognize the card as there is no "new device detected" window that appears. I can't install the drivers that came with the adapter because when I click on the install wizard it says "Wireless network adapter is not detected..."

I've installed all the drivers from the motherboard disc.

The motherboard is an Asus Z97-A
    Intel I5-4440
    Windows 8.1

TP-Link WN881ND

Please give me any suggestions. Thanks in advance!!!

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Did you install your chipset drivers before attempting to install the card?

Post a screenshot of device mgr.

3. iambeam

iambeam Thread Starter

I'm not sure. But there's a good chance that I didn't. What do you advise?

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

When you do a windows install, it is done in the following order;
    1 Install os
    2 Update to the latest service pack [no sp for win8.1]
    3 Install chipset/mb drivers
    4 Install sound, nic/lan driver
    5 Install video driver
    6 If all is well, activate windows and make a backup image of your system drive. Store this on a second hd, external, NAS, etc. If you ever need a clean install in the future, it takes all of 5min to restore the image "Clean install" done.
    7 Do windows update and install ALL critical updates. Repeat until there are no more updates to install.

Failure to install in the above order can result in drivers not config themselves correctly. The chipset driver must be installed before any other driver.

Here is a link to the support page for your mb;
    http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z97A/overview/
    Download and install the drivers referenced above. Before doing so, remove your wireless card. Reinstall the card once you have installed the other drivers.

5. iambeam

iambeam Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply - I'll have to do this first thing in the morning because I'm away from my computer right now.

Just a couple of follow up/clarifying questions before I do:

1. It seems like the best course of action is to just do a clean install of Windows. Is that what you're recommending here?

2. Can I just use the disc that came with the motherboard or would you suggest going to the website and using the drivers listed there?

3. Can you explain step 6? How do I make a backup of my system drive? It seems like it is best practice, but will it help to resolve this issue? Just curious...

Thanks again!

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Before you clean install again, download and install the drivers in the order referenced. If that still does not work, then clean install.
    Always download the drivers from the support page. The support disk is almost always out of date in regard to drivers [the support page will have the latest drivers]
    It is not going to fix your current problem. It is a good procedure to follow when installing windows. You make an image using one of the imaging programs ie acronis true image, norton ghost, macrium reflect or even linux clonezilla.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If one of your hd is either WD or Seagate, you can download the free version of acronis [available on the WD or seagate site] Macrium has a free version and of course linux clonezilla is free [not the easiest thing to use however it is free]

8. iambeam

iambeam Thread Starter

Yes, one of the drives is WD and I've used Acronis before. Thanks.

When I download the drivers from the Asus website - unzip and install - they say that "a newer version is already installed, would you like to downgrade?"

Does that make sense? Should I still go ahead and use the drivers from the website?

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If it already has a newer driver, then leave it alone. Do be sure and install your chipset driver. Note this is often referred to as an inf driver [intel speak]

10. iambeam

iambeam Thread Starter

Ok, I reinstalled all the drivers from the motherboard disc and updated Windows - still not being recognized by the computer.

Also, I'm not sure if this is relevant, but the "status light" on the card is not turning on. Does that mean it's getting power from the board? Any other suggestions?

I'm going to try a clean install of Windows and also try taking a network card out of a working computer and putting it in to see if it recognizes that card. That would tell me that it's a bunk card.

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I would try the other card first; that should only take a few min. It would save the time of the clean install.

12. iambeam

iambeam Thread Starter

I tried swapping the cards. My old computer recognized the card - although it incorrectly named it Qualcomm Atheros ar9287. I'm assuming if I had run the instalation disc it would have worked fine.

Also, my working card from the old computer was not recognized in the new computer. I think a fresh install of Windows is my next step. Does that sound correct? Anything I should consider before doing this?

13. iambeam

iambeam Thread Starter

One quick question. In the BIOS - there is a section called "PCI Express Slot" with two options - M.2 Mode and PCIeX1 1 and 2 at X1 Mode. Currently - it's set for M.2 Mode. I don't suppose that that would be causing a problem.

What do you think?

14. iambeam

iambeam Thread Starter

Actually - I switched that setting and it worked! Thanks for your help.

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You are welcome. The M2 mode is for a ssd type drive.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1140497

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice