1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Wifi problem on XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by gurutech, Mar 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gurutech

gurutech Thread Starter

I have 3 Windows XP machines that use a wireless adapter (1 desktop, 2 laptops). The laptops use a Belkin wifi PC Card, the desktop uses a Linksys PCI card. All three of them can connect to my wifi router (Linksys), but cannot get an IP address. I get a balloon pop-up saying that it can't find a certificate to connect. The machines will connect (via wire) fine if I use an ethernet cable.

Since my 2003 server assigns IP addresses (I have DHCP disabled on the wifi router), I tried hard-coding an IP address on the machines, and I still get the same message.

So I'm now thinking it's something with the wifi router. I already hard-reset it, reconfigured it, and upgraded the firmware, but still nothing.

I called Linksys, and they verified that my router setup was correct, but are still unable to correct the problem.

Can anyone help with this, or point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!

2. Compaq__

Compaq__

Have you tried this?

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

3. gurutech

gurutech Thread Starter

Yes I have tried that actually.

The odd thing is that all machines were working fine until they rebooted (I'm presuming the reboot was due to a windows update, I normally leave these machines on 24/7.)

I tried a system restore on one machine (it was disabled on the other 2 machines), and that failed.

Any ideas?

4. gurutech

gurutech Thread Starter

bump - any ideas?

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Until now I've resisted the urge to respond, because I don't really know anything about the issue.

My guess is that the certificate has something to do with the "2003 server" because that is your Dhcp server and because I have not heard of certificates being used on a router. Does the 2003 server make use of a certificate that may be missing or out of date on the server or the PCs?

6. farstrider2001

farstrider2001

7. gurutech

gurutech Thread Starter

I'm thinking the same thing, but I have two machines that WILL connect wirelessly (one Vista, one XP.)

I'm considering reloading XP from scratch on one of these machines to see if that will resolve the problem.

My problem is that one of these machines running XP is acting as a "Picture Frame", and has no access to keyboard or CD-ROM (without buying a USB hub and external devices...)

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
  9. gurutech

gurutech Thread Starter

I'll take a look tonight when I get home. It sounds like it would work.

If not, I may just disable DHCP on my server and allow my wifi router to assign IP addresses.

10. gurutech

gurutech Thread Starter

I found the problem! It turns out the Wi-Fi policy I created on my server and immediately deleted had actually propagated to the workstations I'm having problems with.

I've fixed it on one computer by plugging in a LAN cable and running "gpupdate /force /boot" and rebooting the computer (for some reason the /boot didn't work...)

I tried the same method on the other computer (that I am using as a picture frame), but when I was troubleshooting before, I removed a bunch of stuff from the registry without making a backup, and now I'm feeling the effects.

I've tried the netsh int ip reset reset.log and winsock reset commands, but that hasn't put the TCP/IP info back in the registry that I need.

when I run an IPCONFIG, with or without the /all, I get a single line saying "Windows IP Configuration" and nothing else. (told ya I screwed this up!)

How can I basically reinstall TCP/IP from "scratch", without doing a "repair" or anything else? (Reason I'm asking is because I'm using the "osk" on this machine with a wireless trackball, and I don't have a keyboard for it.)

Thanks in advance!

11. gurutech

gurutech Thread Starter

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699023

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice