1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: WiFi problem when moving away from router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Kingmate01, Apr 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kingmate01

Kingmate01 Thread Starter

Hi all,

I have been using a router for a few years now, no problems up until the last two weeks or so.
    All internet capable devices including a Windows 8 laptop, android phone and an Apple Ipad only recive limited access when placed at the other end of the house (so I do not think it is OS/device related). This issue is recent.

Strength is at 4 out of 5 bars normally, dropping to 2 or 3 when at the far end of the house. This has not been an issure before. Reseting the router helps for a few minutes, moving into 'internet range' (as the router works fine when really close to the device) also helps for a couple of minutes if the device is moved into 'limited range'.

Running an ethernet cable from the same location as the 4 bars range is fine, no worries.

I tried the first 2 steps in this article: http://www.fixedbyvonnie.com/2013/1...or-no-connectivity-wi-fi-issues-in-windows-8/
    1st step worked for about the same time as resetting the router, I couldnt carry out the second step as the correct tab was not there.

I have tried other web articles but there is nothing specific that I can find about my problem.

One other thing I should mention is that we purchased a 'wifi booster' thing that sits right at the other end of the house does nothing to help with the situation. Restarting the booster and being within 5 bars range does not help (which makes me think it is a problem with the router wifi itself).

Thanks,
    Andre

2. LaptopNomad

LaptopNomad

First thought is WIFI signal interference - reducing reach of the WIFI signal.

Is the WIFI neighberhood packed with signals?

Do a scan with this tool

http://www.laptop-junction.com/toast/content/wifi-signal-strength-detector-android

Use a different channel in case you're on a congested channel with other WIFI networks.

For example:
    A neighbor with a new WIFI router could interfere with your own WIFI on the same channel.

3. Kingmate01

Kingmate01 Thread Starter

Thanks for you reply.

There are four signals on the analyizer. 2 are weak signals in the bottom left hand corner. These come and go as they are across the other side of the road. The other two seem to be the same signal (or at least the same router)

Also, the 5th signal, the booster, seems to come and go every few seconds, and with the same shape and size as the 2 signals that appear to be from the same router.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1146401

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice